GO!

Food troubles...any help appreciated

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 6:44pm PST 
Once again, Meko seems to be picky once again. She is NOT sick, I just want to make that note. Well she started to show disinterest in her Blue Buffalo homestyle canned food, so I slowly began to switch to Blue wilderness. The first night, she LOVED the kibble. YES kibble. I even bought the canned version as well. Now that we switched, she doesn't seem to want to eat it anymore.

I am getting to the point, I literally hate having to feed her. It is a bit frustrating, and I even tried to leave her food for 20 minutes, and take it up. I have done that and she still isn't eating and I fear she will get hypoglycemic soon.

Maybe someone could give me some ideas? ((TUCKER'S MOM WHERE ARE YOU?))

BOL. Any help is appreciated.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 7:46pm PST 
Meko, sweetie, you have got to stop this giving your mom a heart attack all the time!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Get one of those vacuum sealers so that you can buy small bags of food, open the bags up, and re-store meal-sized portions in the vacuum sealed bags. This will allow you to have several types of food on hand and maybe switch at every meal. Seems like she is just one of those that gets bored easily and goes off her food.

2) Do the same type of thing with canned food. Buy the small cans, and get a bunch of different ones (all premium brands of course), rather than a whole case of one kind.

3) Consider home cooking or raw.

4) If you haven't tried something like Honest Kitchen or Addiction dehydrated, that is an idea for you to try. Stella and Chewy's dehydrated raw is another idea. Or possibly something like Ziwi Peak - it's expensive, but for a little one like Meko probably not too terribly pricey, and most dogs cannot resist the beef-jerky-like deliciousness of it.

Oh, and if you don't already have some, get a tube of Nutrical and keep it on hand so that if she goes on a hunger strike you can at least get some calories into her that way.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 10:52pm PST 
I think I agree that unless there is a reason you can't, I'd just switch up her meal options. Other dogs switch every meal, some of us can't because of tummy issues or allergies. Maybe she just likes variety. As long as she can handle it, just rotate more frequently. Not all dogs need a transition period.
[notify]

Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 4:58am PST 
I agree, try and make each meal a different brand and flavor combo. Keep her taste buds guessing. Also, adding some low-sodium broth over the kibble can help encourage them to eat, if you're getting really worried. A healthy dog won't starve themselves, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Just keep changing it up and keep her interested. Some dogs just have more refined taste than others wink If it remotely resembles food, Quincy will eat it big laugh Good luck!
[notify]
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 7:31am PST 
Thank you everypup. I appreciate the help. The nutrical, I should get some of that. Plus the low sodium chicken broth. Perhaps rotation is a good idea. I was thinking maybe of buying a bit of wellness to mix with the Blue wilderness. Perhaps that will help. I think all of you are right, she must get bored quickly. Pick Meko...shrug
[notify]
Max

I'm Back!

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 8:32am PST 
Oh Meko. I don't have any advice, but I sure with you the best. At least your mama obviously cares very much about you! cheer
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 9:13am PST 
A random suggesion from one pom to another: have you tried grain free food with Meko? I had a hard time keeping Bailey's interest in grain inclusive food, but I've never had a problem with him turning his nose up at grain free.
[notify]
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 10:57am PST 
Yes Bailey. I tried grain and grain free. I believe the Blue wilderness is grain free correct? She had the Blue homestyle selects and the Blue wilderness. I currently have both in the house. For breakfast, I mixed the venison homestyle select canned with the wilderness canned grilled turkey, with moistened wilderness kibble. She ate this morning. Maybe having all 3 flavors did the trick. For now. BOL.

To Max: It's okay Max! Thank you for posting! BOL.

Edited by author Tue Jan 19, '10 10:58am PST

[notify]
Nabi

~~~Like a- butterfly in the- wind~~~

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 11:19am PST 
Yes I even saw Meko eat this morning. Hopefully we can keep her interested. Nabi has her picky days too.
[notify]
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 5:46pm PST 
I fed Meko dinner tonight and she ate it. I mixed the blue wilderness canned, Blue homestyle select venison canned, and moistened Blue wilderness kibble again, and she ate most of it. Keep paws crossed this works for a while.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2