GO!

Multivitamins-human v. dog

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Pogo, CGC

Got Sheltie?

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 7:06am PST 
Is it ok to give my dog a "human" multivitamin instead of one marketed for dogs? I don't want to pay 3x more for a bottle with a dog on the cover if an OTC is just as safe/good-besides, with two dogs, I go through the pet variety quickly.

What multi-vitamin does everyone give here? If any?
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 7:16am PST 
Quality is a big factor in how well the vitamin will get absorbed and used by the dog. And frankly many pet ones are not going to be high quality. I only feed made for human vitamins and supplements if at all. My nutrition professor said get as many vitamins from food as you can, and I try to apply that to my dogs as well, like giving them fish instead of supplementing with salmon oil. But anyway, although there's some debate, I think "made from food" human vitamins are the best. You can either cut it, or only give 1 every few days, so you don't overdose on the amounts. But really if you are feeding kibble, it's already supplemented with all the right amounts of vitamins and minerals.
[notify]
Sebastian- Yoda- 1/08-11/09

Zoom, Zoom,- Zoom!

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 9:00am PST 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are on a High Quality Food, is there a need for the Multi-Vitamins?
[notify]

Pogo, CGC

Got Sheltie?

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 9:10am PST 
Normally, yes, good food = no vitamins. But I have one dog that is seems to be chronically ill and was thinking that a multi-vitamin could help. They both eat raw at night and good quality food in the AM (I don't have the time to supervise morning feedings).

I guess I'm hoping that the vitamin will fill in the gaps and help him out. I dunno, just thinking out loud, mostly. shrug
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 10:12am PST 
Pogo since you feed high quality and balanced already, adding more of a multiv might do harm instead of good. What are the chronic issues?
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 6:04pm PST 
Most dogs on a good diet don't need a multivitamin. If there is a specific issue it is usually best to supplement with specific vitamins/supplements rather than a multi-vitamin.

Also dogs do not have the same vitamin/mineral requirements as humans so if you give your dog a human multivitamin it probably does not have the correct dosage of each vitamin for a dog's needs, and probably has some that dogs don't need as well as missing some they do need. A human multivitamin is not taking into account the type of supplementation and vitamin content which dogs get in their kibble daily. Plus most dogs are much smaller than an adult human, so that also is a factor in the amount of vitamins.
I think it is much more likely to give a dog too much of a vitamin (you can get health problems from overdosing with some vitamins) if you used a human multivitamin rather than one made for kibble-fed dogs.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 8:47pm PST 
Well though it's hard to believe since they are so different from us, dogs need all the vitamins and minerals people do, but in different amounts of course. Pet quality is poor, at petco and similar pet store chains. Maybe at a holistic store, but then you're paying a lot more money than you would a human vitamin. If you want to know how much of what vitamin and minerals your dog needs you can download a spreadsheet that's on the raw forum that we use to help us balance the diet. You can skip the bone/organ part on top, then scroll down and it will just give you the daily amounts of vitamins and minerals. This is where you can download the spreadsheet You need excel to run it. But I totally agree with Bianca instead of a multi just treat for the specific issue.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 10:47pm PST 
Just wanted to add also if you do use the table for vitamins make sure you take into account the vitamins which are already added to the kibble.

ETA: spreadsheet, not table.

Edited by author Fri Nov 20, '09 10:47pm PST

[notify]