GO!

Q's about taking water up at night

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 1:45pm PST 
I know this isn't food related but I didn't know where else to put it.

My fiance has been asking me what I think about maybe starting to take Kit's water up at a certain time each night. We don't live in the safest area and he doesn't like when I have to take Kit out to pee late at night.

Is it okay to do that? I don't want Kit to get thirsty and feel mean taking away his water but we where only thinking of taking it up maybe a few hours before bed time and he'll get it back first thing in the morning.

If it's okay to do - his normal bed time is around 11 and I can take him out for the last time around that time. How soon before his last potty break should I take the water up?
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 2:34pm PST 
Yes I know plenty of people that do that. As long as she is getting plenty the rest of the time.
My mom takes her dogs water up at 9pm.

I have two dogs that sleep in their crates, and Bama gets free run of the house but they use potty mats so he always has the mats down to use.
But, I don't take the water up at a certain time, I just don't let Allee and Brodie have any about an hour or so before I am going to bed, and then I tell them to pee pee before bed. I go to bed at different times.

If you go to bed about 11, just take the water up around 9:30 or so and then take him out right before bed!

Edited by author Wed Nov 18, '09 2:35pm PST

[notify]
Shellie - *RIP*

Oooh....Shiny!

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 2:41pm PST 
Unfortunately mommy can't pick up my water as I have Diabetes Insipidus so have to have access to water at all times. But I sleep in a crate and can hold it through the night. My chihuahua siblings have exercise pens with potty pads and Zoey is on steroids so has to have water 24/7 as well. But mommy has heard that it is a good idea to pick up water about an hour or two before bedtime for the last potty break.
[notify]

Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 2:55am PST 
I have known people to do that, I don't think anything is wrong with it. I leave Meko's down at all times though. Just because I know how she drinks a lot of water. At night, she can drink some and get in bed with me and we go to sleep. She does well and holds it, even if I don't take her back out before bedtime.
[notify]
Nabi

~~~Like a- butterfly in the- wind~~~

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 2:59am PST 
Nabi is the same as Meko. We never take the waterbowl up, so she can get some water if she needs while I am sleeping, and then she can get back in bed. But I know alot of people who put the water bowl away when its bed time. Its fine as along as Kit gets enough he should be fine.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 1:29pm PST 
Thanks for the responses! Kit is good about holding it, if he asks me to go out late at night and I don't take him he'll just hold it until I do, but I feel bad not taking him out when I know he has to go. I'm going to try taking up his water at night and see if that helps any.
[notify]
Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 1:32pm PST 
I used to put the water up when I was potty training Boston. Worked well and didnt do any harm.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 6:19pm PST 
It's certainly okay top pick water up in the evening, but I've found something that has wokred better for me. I used to have a bowl that was down and I'd refill it when it was empty. I found that my dog would always want to drink when he actually saw me put it back down for him, even if he wasn't thirsty. We purchased a self-refilling water bowl a few months ago and he doesn't gorge himself anymore just because I put it down. Since it is always there, he just drinks when he's thirsty and is done the rest of the time. That may help you out.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 9:28am PST 
Thanks!

Quincy - Kit doesn't drink that way though. I leave his water down all day and he just drinks when he's thirsty, he doesn't drink any more or less right after I fill the bowl. He drinks more after his walks or after I play with him for awhile, but that's understandable.

That's one of the reasons why I'm hesitant to take his bowl up, because I know if he goes looking for it that he's thirsty.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Fri Nov 20, '09 9:45am PST 
It's perfectly okay.

I've noticed that my dogs don't even drink at night for some reason. The big ones do every now and then, but the little ones don't at all.

Sandy sleeps in my room, so it's easiest for me to notice when she drinks. Well, I do keep water in there for her. (she spends so much time in there I feel I should) However, she hardly ever drinks from it.

shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2