GO!

Dachshund training

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Pepper

it's not funny

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 10:26pm PST 
The Dachshund forum seems a bit slow. So I'll test my luck here.
She's 7 months and all I've managed to teach her so far is sit frown
I know it's a stubborn breed but...she can't be that stubborn.
Any other dachshund training experiences you will be willing to share?
Potty training is all covered but obedience training seems like is not gonna happen. I wanna enroll her in training classes, but I have a feeling she might not do so well.
[notify]
Peter Parker

It's good to be- the King!

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 10:37pm PST 
Pepper- i would enroll in puppy obedience classes because the atmosphere is much more lax in a puppy class and you're still young enough to enroll.smile
Yep, doxies are stubborn but with diligence and patience your doxie should be trained in no time....whether they choose to listen to you all the time...that's a whole 'nother story!!laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Nov 16, '09 3:19am PST 
Oh, we have 4 of them in the Daycare where I teach.

With small dogs, I often find that capturing is the way to go for positions like sit/down/stand. For movement, I like to use target sticks to move the dog where I want him.
[notify]

Zoey

cutest cuddlebug

Barked: Mon Nov 16, '09 9:34am PST 
We started trining Zoey by ourselves, and she was a booger to say the least. We took her to training class, and everything totally changed. She did awesome! I also think it helped having our trainer work with her (she would go around the room and work with each dog during the hour). I think it's kind of like "I can get away with this with Mommy, but I'll be good for this nice lady..." I highly recommend training classes. It's also a good support group for you if she's been naughty that week laugh out loud Also, you need VERY high value treats. Hot dogs work great.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Mon Nov 16, '09 4:42pm PST 
Hi Pepper! I second Zoey's statement about high value treats. Most Dachshunds are gluttons and can be persuaded to do just about anything for the right reward! Also, what Asher said about capturing. Lupi "learned" bow, play dead, roll-over and turn, by us catching her doing those things, treating immediately, and assigning a verbal command to the action. I'm currently trying to teach her to sneeze on command using the same principle!

What I can add: Be persistent and don't despair-Lupi is almost 2 and still learning new tricks, some of which (fetch for example) I thought she would NEVER learn. Sometimes, they suddenly just "get it."

Focus on the obedience training such as recall, sit, stay, lay down. Those will be very important in some situations.

Every meal can be a training session, with her dog food as the reward instead of treats if she likes it. Keep the training sessions short and fun, and end on what she knows well (sit).

Also, be aware that Dachshunds will not always obey, even when they know exactly what you're asking of them. They have to believe there's a good reason to comply. So once Pepper knows some commands, ask her to do those things before giving her what she wants. Before getting petted, treats, a toy, up on the couch-whatever. That will help to reinforce the idea that obeying your voice (or hand signal) means good things.

If you want, paw-mail me and I can give you step-by-step details on how I trained Lupi with each command. She's not perfect, and neither am I, but we've learned a lot and would be happy to share!
[notify]
Pepper

it's not funny

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 1:01am PST 
thanks everyone for your help, I am looking at puppy obedience training classes in my area, and not giving up on training her on my own, but she could be such a little turkey.
We are in the middle of training and she would start chasing her tail and rolling on the carpet as if it was the funniest thing....aahh love her
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 9:03am PST 
Ahhh, she's a PUPPY!!! What else should she do but chase her tail and roll around laugh out loud

Try keeping the sessions really short, like 1 minute short, and doing many session a day rather than one long session. Just having the cahnce to sleep beteen sessions will help her process the information.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 9:15am PST 
I agree with Asher -- keep sessions short, puppies have really short attention spans but are perfectly capable of learning things... just do short sessions throughout the day.

Puppy class is a good idea, but if you want to do some at-home stuff I think a great easy step-by-step starter book would be "The Power of Positive Training" by Pat Miller, it's an easy read and has your basics in there and I think you'd find it helpful.
[notify]
Pepper

it's not funny

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 1:20pm PST 
our sessions aren't even that long! really! I start with sit and then she, of course, does it. As soon as I try to teach her something else she starts chasing her tail (I wonder if she thinks this is a trick I guess the fact that I gave her a treat the first time she did that makes her think so) lol I love her big grin . but yes I know she's a puppy and she definitely does puppy things. I found a great puppy training class and look forward to take her... and keep training her at home. I am still trying new treats to find her favorite one so far she loves them all equally (she doesn't discriminate).

Edited by author Thu Nov 19, '09 1:21pm PST

[notify]