GO!

What breed has a tail that curls over the back?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Skye ☮

Hi, I'm Skye and- I make weird- noises

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 8:42am PST 
I think I have Skye's breeds pretty much summed up. Border Collie, Basset Hound, and some type of Spaniel.

However, Skye's tail curls up over her back, especially when she's outside and walking off leash. Also, her ears are pretty off, unless you consider the Border Collies with floppy ears.

I'm mostly curious as to where her tail comes from though. Do you guys know of any breeds who have a fuzzy tail that curls over the dog's back?
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 8:47am PST 
All members of the Spitz group have furry tails that curl over their backs. This would include anything from Siberian Huskies, to Malamutes, to Greenland Dogs, Klee Kais, Shiba Inus, American Eskimos.. and on and on.. wink

Prick ears, double coats, and a curled furry tail are defining characteristics of the Spitz family.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 8:51am PST 
Great Pyrenees make the "wheel" with their tail over their back but sometimes it just hangs there too.
[notify]

Skye ☮

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 8:52am PST 
Hmm, interesting, Lilith big grin

Actually Skye's ears are small, triangular and floppy though, not prick. I changed her main picture so you can see them better. They were like that in the other picture because of the wind laugh out loud

And Pippin, that's interesting too. However, I doubt Skye has Pyr in her laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Nov 10, '09 8:53am PST

[notify]
Salty

Just give me- sec, I'll get- used to you!

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 9:07am PST 
Paps have a curly tail, Salty's curls right over!
[notify]
Tally

Izzat chicken?

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 10:15am PST 
Lhasas and shih tzu do too.
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 11:39am PST 
I know a few Border Collies who's tails curl over their backs when they're happy or playing. Also, the ears floppyness could be an effect of the Basset on the Border Collie ears. shrug Just a thought.
[notify]
Skye ☮

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 12:04pm PST 
I know quite a few Border Collies who's tails curl over their backs, too, but if you read the breed's standard they're not supposed to. Maybe a result of poor breeding? thinking
And I do know a few BCs who have floppy ears like Skye's.

The tail could be a result of some Lhasa Apso too shrug

Skye will always be a mystery to us laugh out loud
[notify]
Chamois

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 2:27pm PST 
Those of us who loved border collies before the breed was hijacked by the AKC do not think a tail curved over the back means they are poorly bred.
[notify]
Chamois

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 2:47pm PST 
Actually, bassets carry their tails quite high, a mix of border collie fluff and curve with basset height would like like Skye's pictures.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2