GO!

demodectic mange (localized) - any suggestions?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lola

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 1:12pm PST 
Hi everyone - Lola was diagnosed w/demodectic mange about 3 weeks ago after she started losing fur right below her eye and vigorously rubbing it against the carpet. I got concerned and took her in - the first vet said it was just an allergic reaction and gave me some antibacterial ointment, but she seemed to be getting worse, so i took her to a different vet and they did a skin scrape and diagonosed her w/the mange. They have done two mitaban dips since then and her last scraping came back mostly negative. However, she is still itching on occasion - I have been using the goodwinol ointment nightly, but I am not sure how effective it is. I don't think I can afford to keep taking her in every ten days for a dip, and since everything I have read suggests that most pups outgrow this condition (she is 10 mos), and because it is only in one spot (the vet checked her everywhere), I am inclined to keep using the goodwinol and see how she does. My question is, does anyone have any multivitamins or supplements that might help her system boost its immunity against these mites? I want to do everything I can to help her fight them off. She is currently on Nature's Variety raw (rotate b/w beef, chicken and venison) and seems to thrive on it. Would probiotics help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate. Thanks! smile
[notify]
In Loving- Memory of- BOOMER

The Cat Did- It...

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 5:39pm PST 
Ask your vet about Ivermectin. It's cheap and works from the inside out so you can stop with the dips. You can get it at most feed stores relatively cheap. BUT you need to get the dose from the vet because a little goes a LOOOOOONG way...I'm talking less than 0.5mL's in many cases. It is based on weight and is a superlow dose. Your vet can tell you if it would be recommended for your dog. Beware with herding breeds and you'd have to stop any Heartworm prevention while on the Ivermec. But it may be another option for you smile good luck.
[notify]
Drake

What dont kill- you only makes- you strong

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 9:37pm PST 
Good diet is key with demodex so your doing awesome. Drake gets itchy demodex patches once in a while Ive noticed that his garlic skin and coat pill helps the itch. I get his garlic pills at petco its there brand. I avoid the dip as it caused my Pit to have liver failure.
[notify]

Lola

Barked: Tue Aug 4, '09 10:06pm PST 
thanks for the suggestions! I will look into the ivermectin and the garlic pills. smile
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Wed Aug 5, '09 9:53am PST 
Although Ivermectin has been used for demodex mange treatment for years.....the best treatment you can provide is by boosting your dogs immune system.
Demodex mites live on dogs, when their immune system is functioning normally their populations remain in check. When dogs immune systems start failing, the populations grow - causing mange.
First step is to switch to a good quality diet - I prefer raw, but a good quality grain free diet is good too.
Supplement with fish oils (or canned sardines) and a few essential vitamins.
Minimize vaccinations, spay/neuter as soon as the demodex clears but as early as possible since hormones can cause flare ups.
This steps usually clear up demodex without the use of harsh chemicals. The ivermectin will just put more strain on an already weak immune system
[notify]
Pi

Belly Rubs- Please!

Barked: Wed Aug 5, '09 9:57am PST 
I agree with Molly..

I did a lot of chemical treatments.. and NOTHING even worked. Pi lost a lot of hair and a lot of weight. We changed to a raw diet, got immune boasting pills and tea tree oil shampoos and sprays to soothe the skin and he's finally getting better after a year of fighting it.
[notify]
Lola

Barked: Wed Aug 5, '09 10:24am PST 
hm, ok - thanks for the additional info. Like I said, Lola is already on raw (has been since she was about 4 mos old, and she does well on it), so I don't think I should switch anything up there. Does anyone have suggestions for immune boosters? I will start giving her some fish oil every day with her food, but if there is some separate supplement I could use, I'd love to know about it to help her fight this stuff off! thanks!
[notify]
Lola

Barked: Wed Aug 5, '09 10:29am PST 
oh, and also, i suspect that the mite problem worsened b/c of her recent bout w/giardia - but her last fecal test a month ago came back negative, and she seems totally back to normal, so hopefully that will not be affecting her at all now.
[notify]
Henry

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 2:04pm PST 
Tactic dips work great...you can buy it at any feed store.
[notify]
Chevy

"Like a Rock" :)

Barked: Mon Oct 19, '09 8:41pm PST 
Did you ever find anything helpful for your puppy? My Chevy is coming up on 3 months, just got vaccinated and started Advantage Multi, and literally a week after I gave it to her I noticed 2 little patches of fur missing right under her eyes... Now, I haven't tried the raw food - she just eats puppy chow now to try to put some weight on her (she's pretty underweight - just got over round worms, hook worms, and coccidia after I got her) and she's finally started to put on a little weight and she's so much more playful. She had fleas when I got her, too, but they're gone now and she still itches. I'm at a loss, I just paid $600 for her vet bills, and I'm putting myself through med. school so money's tight. If she needs to see a vet I'll take her, but everyone I've talked to says that a lot of long haired dogs get it and outgrow it, and there are at home remedies to ease it... Any tips would be great!! Thanks!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2