GO!

"Labradoodles" .. why not just get a..

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 10:46am PST 
poodle?

I don't know much about Poodles or Labradors, so can someone please enlighten me? Why would someone want to get a Poodle cross? Why do some people want to develop a "Labradoodle"?

Labradoodle "breeders" keep talking about "hypoallergenic" coats, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if they just got a poodle, wouldn't they not have to worry about this? Lots of Poodle crosses end up having shedding coats anyway..

From what I know, Poodles are intelligent working dogs. Why not just get a poodle then?

Can someone please tell me something about this? I feel kind of left out of the loop
confused
[notify]
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 11:00am PST 
I'm not sure what the benefits of someone crossing a poodle with a lab would be...
Labs shed like crazy, so I don't understand how crossing those two would create a hypoallergenic dogthinking What really gets me about them, is people basically pay big dollar for a mutt (no offense to anyone).
Don't these people realize that there are shelters OVER FLOWING with mutts that they could basically get for next to nothing?shrug
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 11:47am PST 
... probably because they think its cool. Other than that, is there really a reason? Originally in Australia, the poodle was crossed with the lab to create a hypoallergenic guide dog for a gentleman in Hawaii. There was very limited success. While the person in charge of providing this dog could not find an appropriate poodle for service work, there are currently several hard working service poodles out there today. Poodles can be wonderful working dogs.

I am including a link to a story written by the originator of the labradoodle. However, that is only the first story on the page. I personally can't vouch for any of the other info on the site. In fact, I imagine that it isn't all that responsible, considering the source.

An interesting development is that the originator of the labradoodle now questions if he did the right thing in breeding a doodle.

http://www.ilainc.com/IALA/AboutTheLabradoodle.html

I personally always wonder why doodle buys don't just adopt, when there are so many doodles in shelters now a days. Also, poodles and doodles are not the only low allergen breeds out there. There are actually several.
[notify]

Sherlock

Not a girl!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 1:03pm PST 
The reason why so many people are choosing doodles over poodles is because the general public has a very sour opinion of poodles. People don't see them as "real" dogs. If you look at how many females own poodles compared to how many males own poodles, you will see that the majority of poodle owners are females. Most men I know would be embarrassed to own a poodle. I think poodles are fabulous dogs, but I would never EVER show one in conformation. The silly show clips have ruined the poodle's image. I don't care that people claim this is how the dogs were clipped for the water. It just looks ridiculous.

http://www.grca.org/allabout/a_doodle-white.html
Read the X-Factor article.

The problem is that people think a labradoodle is a lab that doesn't shed. This is not true.

Breeders who actually care about the labradoodle or goldendoodle will tell prospective buyers that they cannot guarantee non-shedding. If allergies or shedding are very important to the buyer, the breeder will tell the buyer to get a poodle.

Doodles have this goofiness about them. They are intelligent but there is something about them that makes them a bit silly... Maybe it's the muppet look that adds to it. I don't know. But I do know that they are unlike any other type of mixed breed dog. They have a zest for life and a playful demeanor. Every single day, someone stops me to ask about my doodle. Everyone says that this is going to be the next dog they get. I try to educate them about the pros and cons of this mix.

I looked for months at shelters and petfinder to find a doodle. I could not find one, and I should also mention that no rescue group would let me adopt a puppy because I work 8 hours a day - they would not even consider the idea of a dog walker. I think this is just wrong when there are millions of homeless dogs and someone is willing to give one of them a good home. Anyway, that is how I ended up getting my doodle from a breeder. I knew what I was getting into and I grew up with a golden retriever and I had been around poodles for a while and I loved both breeds. I can see pieces of the GR and poodle in him, but I would never say he acts like one breed or the other. I knew I was getting a mix or mutt, I knew I could never compete in AKC events (well, now they've announced the mixed breed program), but none of this mattered to me.

I personally don't think anyone has the right to tell another person what type of dog to get or where to get the dog. I love dogs just as much as anyone else on this forum and it is sad that millions of dogs die each year due to overpopulation. You can find many purebreds in shelters and rescue groups as well. Before you tell a dog owner he should have gone to the shelter, question why you chose to go through a breeder instead of the shelter. Small doodles are nearly impossible to find on petfinder, poomixerescue or IDOG. If you are lucky enough to find one, more likely than not, the group will not adopt out of state or fly the dog to you.

Edited by author Wed May 20, '09 1:09pm PST

[notify]
Chase (CGC)

I'm A Proud- Wiggle Butt!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 1:07pm PST 
My husband walks around with a 15lb pug and a "pretty" looking Aussie.. And if I had a poodle he'd walk around with that.. Actually, he's walked around with my moms. I guess he's not very manly is he? I better go tell him.

Edited by author Wed May 20, '09 1:10pm PST

[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 1:14pm PST 
So it's more of a perception thing?

...speaking of which, there's a man near me who owns 2 standard chocolate poodles (in standard cut). This was the first time I've seen standard.

And Chase.. big laugh

Edited by author Wed May 20, '09 1:20pm PST

[notify]
Sherlock

Not a girl!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 1:21pm PST 
I never said the reason to get a doodle was because you don't like the look of a poodle. But if you think of middle America, I guarantee you that most of these people would prefer a lab over a poodle - why is this? The poodle's image! For god's sake, the poodle was the first retriever and now it's not even in the sporting group! I will never understand that one.

The show ring calls for certain physical characteristics that has ruined many breeds - most of them can't even perform their original functions.

Lilith, it is the perception of the poodle that scares people away. If poodle clubs focused on the working ability of the dog, maybe more people would choose a poodle over other retrievers or mixed breeds. There is one poodle breeder from whom I would consider purchasing a dog: www.parispoodles.com - They keep the dew claws, they don't dock the tails, and they breed for a thicker body type. The breeders even say that they want their dogs to look like dogs!

If a person doesn't understand why someone would choose a labradoodle over a poodle, or over a lab, or over any other type of breed or mix out there, then the person doesn't get it and never will. I personally don't see why people make such a big deal over this. Each person is entitled to pick the type of dog he or she wants. Even if others don't agree, there is nothing that can be done to stop it so it's pointless in arguing about it.

Edited by author Wed May 20, '09 1:21pm PST

[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 1:30pm PST 
Sherlock,

It's difficult to understand why someone would pick the instability of a mixed breed over the known breed characteristics of established breeds, unless it's something for rescue, etc. Especially when the reason that 90% of people I've met who wanted a labrador poodle cross wanted one because it was "hypoallergenic" - and many don't turn out that way anyway.

Poodles aren't the only "hypoallergenic" dogs, however "prissy" they might seem, to fit this category in the first place.

Plus, you said something about your own doodle having a "goofy" characteristic. Seeing as how it's a mutt, this could or could not be by chance or not.. one never knows with mutts. And I've yet to find a breeder of "doodles" that perform the relevant genetic screening and tests, as well as not being tunnel-visioned in choosing the dogs to breed or not to breed.

If someone doesn't understand this, then perhaps it can also be said that "they never will"..

A forum is a place for exchange of ideas - even the ones with which you don't agree - and it's not done to "change someone's mind".

Edited by author Wed May 20, '09 1:40pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 2:22pm PST 
blue dog double post

Edited by author Wed May 20, '09 2:25pm PST

[notify]
Sherlock

Not a girl!

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 2:23pm PST 
I was recently at a large goldendoodle / labradoodle beach romp in Dewey, DE. There were over a hundred "doodles" in attendance. It was a beautiful day and all of the dogs had so much fun playing on the beach. I think if anyone who isn't sure about a doodle had been in attendance, that person would understand why they have become so popular, so quickly. Of course there are always exceptions, but in my opinion, and I have met many doodles, they all possess this goofy sensibility. I really cannot explain it. You can't predict temperament, but you are not going to find a doodle (from sound parents) with a terrier temperament. There will be different personalities within the litter, some poodle, some retriever, and some in between. Good breeders will choose the pup for a buyer, but then again, I'm not sure how much faith I place in the temperament testing of a 6 week old puppy... It would be like going into a hospital nursery and predicting which baby will be the best athlete.

Yes, there are other hypoallergenic breeds - maltese, bichon, havanese, coton, wheaten, portie, etc.... but people who want a doodle like retrievers. I like toy dogs, and I have a toy mix, but I know a lot of people would not want a toy dog. I think wheatens are great dogs, but I don't care for the terrier personality. I have only met one portie so I don't have much of an opinion on them. I can say I'm glad that the Obamas chose a portie and not a labradoodle though.

The great thing about doodles is that they come in all different shapes, sizes, and colors to suit all tastes. I knew I wanted a red, curly, medium sized male doodle. I have a friend that wanted a very large, wavy haired, cream female.

In regards to relevant health tests, yes, they test OFA / PennHIP and CERF (annually). Good breeders do ES&N and provide a lifetime of support and will take the dog back at any time. Not all breeders do this, but the good ones do.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18