GO!

Oldest safe age to breed? Wear diaper at dog park?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Lucky- Mallory

All balls belong- to me! Tennis- player...

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 2:53am PST 
What is the oldest age to safely breed a Golden? Someone told me you can only breed a dog safely in the first 3-5 years? I just want to know how much time I have because I'm defiantly not in a hurry.

How can I prevent pregnancy when my dog goes into heat? Should I put a diaper on her when we go to the dog park? She is constantly getting humped now and she is only 5 1/2 months old.

How will I know she is in heat? She will spot? Can it get heavy?

Also, I hate to ask this but do girl dogs get saggy chest after one breeding? Of course I would love her just as much but I'm just curious...being very new to all this..
Thanks ! smile
Leah

sorry so many questions...

Edited by author Thu Mar 26, '09 2:54am PST

[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 4:12am PST 
Okay... I will get back to this with more answers later, but if your dog is in heat, you shouldn't go to the dog park period. Her smell will stir up all kinds of problems and can cause fights. Also, all she needs is that one little second of the diaper being moved and another dog jumping in and she could be impregnated. And if you try to separate them once they have "Tied" you could hurt one or both dogs. Best to stay home from the dog park. I'll let other folks handle the age to breed questions because thats what many dogsters do best!
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 7:24am PST 
You will know when she's in heat, yes she will spot, and you'll need to put little panties with sanitary pads in them. Also, no going anywhere near other dogs while she's in heat, which means a few weeks. She won't spot the whole heat cycle, so you have to be very careful. I've heard others comment that the females will actually get pms as well...eventually you'll be able to learn your dog's signs of a heat cycle coming on. Even if they do not whelp a litter they can get that "saggy booby syndrome." Spaying is the only way to entirely prevent that.

I've noticed that female goldens in general seem to be pretty randy...always have males all over them.
[notify]

Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 7:34am PST 
I usually stay out of these conversations, but the more I work at my local shelter the less I feel I can shut my mouth. I hope this doesn't sound really mean, but if you don't know better than to keep a dog in heat out of a dog park, I'm not sure you know enough about dogs to start breeding them.
[notify]
Bear, Princess, Coco, & Sheba

Questdriven:- cookiemiller.tri- pod.com

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 8:17am PST 
As the others said, avoid the dog park until heat is over.

Dogs should not be bred until they are at least 2 years old (mostly because some of the necessary health testing cannot be done until this age), and should not be bred after the age of 6 years.
Be sure to really do your research thoroughly over the next few years before breeding, get a reputable mentor who has been breeding for at least 10 years, and make sure that she is actually breeding quality. This will include health testing her (not just a vet check-up), seeing how well she fits the standard, and making sure that she can do what the breed was originally bred for and do it well (or titling her in some canine sport such as Agility if you for some reason cannot have her evaluated on doing whatever Goldens were originally bred for).
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 8:30am PST 
Please do reconsider breeding her at all. Aren't there enough unwanted pups in the shelters? You've already gotten some good advice, but my 2 cents, don't do it. And that's not being mean, just hating to see one more animal bring puppies into a world where thousands are euthanized every day cry
[notify]
Otis

"More- Walks....Less- Toys"

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 8:39am PST 
My suggestion would be that if you are insistant on breeding, that you contact the local Golden Retriever breed club in your area and ask for a breeding mentor. That person can honestly evaluate your pup to see if she "should" be bred and then if appropriate, walk you through the process as well as help you select a male.

Personally...I believe that there are too many pups out there already. But if you are going to do it...be smart about it.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 8:54am PST 
I am against breeding dogs unless it is done responsibly by a reputable breeder. This is because there are 10,000 humans born each year in the US, while there are about 70,000 puppies born in the US. Dogs do not need to have "just one litter" to feel complete or happy.

These are steps one would need to take to become a responsible and reputable breeder:

1. Contact a breed club for your breed. Ask for a mentor.
2. STUDY the breed standard. Learn about dog anatomy and ask your mentor to
clarify anything you don't understand.
3. Learn what genetic faults and diseases run in your breed and test for any
that can be tested for.
4. Show your dog in conformation events to see if it is of the proper
quality for breeding. Winning doesn't always mean a dog is breeding quality,
but being around so many others that know your breed and will talk to you
will do wonders for your self-education efforts!
5. Study the past history of great dogs in your breed. You will see how your
breed has improved and progressed since the beginning of the breed.
6. Study the breed standard some more! ;-)
7. Join any Yahoo groups about your breed.
8. Live, dream and study your breed.
9. Get a good book on canine reproduction, and educate yourself about the
pitfalls, problems, and proud moments of breeding. Learn about the
physiology of reproduction, such as heat cycles and venereal diseases in
dogs, potential for problems specific to your breed, and what you need to
expect at whelping.
10. Remember that whelping (giving birth) can kill your female. Being used
as a stud dog can encourage bad behaviors common in intact males such as
territorial marking, aggression, and desire to roam from home.
11. Prepare to be broke. Breeding properly is EXPENSIVE.
12. Line up potential homes for any puppies you produce and write up a
contract. Remember to include that you will be willing to take back your
puppies at any time in their lives that they might need you. If you bring
life into this world, it is your responsibility FOREVER.
13. Prepare to spend sleepless nights attending whelping females, caring for
fading puppies or puppies orphaned, and practice cleaning up after 24/7 poop
machines.

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/Good_breeder. pdf

ETA: there is a rule in most dog parks that females in heat are not allowed. This is because it will cause males to fight and the female can get hurt or die in the process. Even dogs who are neutered can smell the hormones both from the females in heat and the in-tact males and feel challenged and fight. Youre putting every dog at risk by bringing her in.

Edited by author Thu Mar 26, '09 9:11am PST

[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 10:18am PST 
I agree, and I think everyone has said it in a very polite and educational manner. So, please listen or at least try to learn more about it. I am against breeding, with a few exceptions of course. I just fostered a puppy that was born with only 3 legs due to irresponsible breeding and she was dumped because of it. If you don't know what you're doing (and believe me, most people don't) just leave it to the professionals and rescue a puppy instead. My dog Mama was rescued from being a breeder at a puppy mill and she has somewhat saggy nipples, had cancer removed from her underbelly (nipple area) and gets very upset when males approach her from behind. It's not always the best thing to have a breeding female. She will be much happier spayed and then you may go to the dog park.
[notify]
Dessie

Wow, that- sandwich looks- scrumptious!

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 11:41am PST 
Everyone has posted pretty good responses. Let me just put my two cents in...

It does appear that you have a bit to learn about dogs. That being said, I do not think it would be appropriate for you to breed your dog. My feeling is that if you still have questions about the heat cycle, you're not ready to breed. Please don't think I'm picking on you - I try to learn as much as I can about my dog and I still do not feel anywhere qualified to do it. I would rethink breeding for now. Maybe a few dogs down the road, once you've learned a bit more. While it's an exciting thing there are just SO MANY puppies in shelters and SO MANY breeders already out there (especially golden retrievers). They can't possibly all find homes.

As far as going into heat - you will know haha. The area will sometimes get a bit swollen. She will also spend lots of time cleaning it (that sound gets gross, trust me). Also you will see spoting on your floors. Sometimes the spot where they sleep will have a larger blood spot. I've never had it get "heavy" just frequent - if that makes sense. It's always in drops, not pools. While she is in heat (for about 3 weeks) keep her away from male dogs - this means no dog park. At all. You will also notice an odor that...well...once you smell it, you never forget. ha.

There are also so many benefits to spaying. I just had my rescued lab spayed last week. It ended up saving her life. When they got into surgery they found that she had a developing case of closed pyometra. At the stage it was at (and the fact she showed no signs) they said she would have more than likely died within a few weeks.

Oh and about diapers - I cut up some underwear to fit my dog (gah, thats embarrassing for the both of us now that I think about it). It honestly didn't help since she was pretty good about cleaning up. Plus she looked so pitiful with it on I just took it off.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8