GO!

Neutered dog after female in heat?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rohan - ADOPTED

Rules? What are- those?

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 2:17pm PST 
I just brought Rohan out about half an hour ago. He suddenly began running around frantically wanting to get out of the fence. He keeps looking (smelling?) something towards the other side of the house where it's not fenced and he can't get to. I leashed him and made him calm down and then came inside for a little while. Mom was cutting grass and later when she just came in, Rohan scratched the door like he needed to go out. So I let him out, and instead of going to pee, he continued to run around the yard frantically looking for a way out. I caught him and brought him in. What's up with him? He's been neutered for a few months now. Will neutered dogs still want to go after a female in heat? That's the only thing I can think of that's causing him to act crazy. My other male, Steele is neutered and he has never cared about females in heat. Rohan has just started doing this about 30-45 minutes ago. There was a huge truck type thing outside doing something in the street drains. Very noisy... But they got done and left about 30 minutes ago. I don't get it....

ETA- I looked on the other side of the house and towards the way he was looking but didn't see anything. No cat, no loose dog aside from the dogs who are regularly loose. He's confusing me....

Edited by author Sat Feb 28, '09 2:19pm PST

[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 2:38pm PST 
Yeah, that could be it. I have male cats, who are all neutered, and a female cat who was never fixed due to health problems (they are indoor cats, so no worries with kittens). When she goes into heat, the boys are all hanging around her like they were never neutered.
[notify]
Puck

Puck goes- packin'

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 3:12pm PST 
Rohan: This is pretty common. The smell of a dog in heat can sometimes travel up to a mile away. Nuetered dogs and even females will become aroused at the smell. Kudos for making the decision to neuter!wink
[notify]

Rohan - ADOPTED

Rules? What are- those?

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 4:14pm PST 
Thanks for your replies. =)

And thank you, Puck. ^^ People letting their dogs breed for stupid reasons or no reason ticks me off to no end. There are three loose females who have an owner and have been loose forever. All three got pregnant at the same time and had their puppies at the same time. Their pups are still outside in the dog houses with them. And then the genius up the street got two huskies just to breed them with his female "pure timberwolf", which it's obviously not. He wanted to breed my dog, Steele, with her but I happily told him he's fixed. Ugh, don't get me started. xP I know it's off topic, but like I said, it ticks me off to no end. I can't help but rant. shrug Sorry...

Rohan was just outside with me and the rest of the pack. I took him (and Freedom) on a quick bike ride. Afterwards, he seemed fine and didn't run around frantically. But after a half hour or so, he suddenly picked up on something again and began running frantically around the front of the fence next to the corner of the house. He may be smelling something under the trailer. Maybe a cat had her kittens under there? (cats have had kittens in the insulation of our trailer many times before) This is odd.

Edited by author Sat Feb 28, '09 4:20pm PST

[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 1:39pm PST 
It is possible, I have even seen spayed females act out at the smell of a female in heat (nothing sexual, but sniffing around and marking like crazy where the female in heat had been), and I once knew someone with a large male dog that was altered before 8 weeks of age that still acted like a complete crazy every time a female dog would come into heat in the area. I sometimes say (at least when it comes to females in heat), as a general rule, "boy (dogs) will be boy (dogs), even when they don't have 'the boys' " laugh out loud.
[notify]