GO!

Tell Me About Vizslas..

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 11:06am PST 
I recently lost my first dog, a German Shorthaired Pointer little angel

I absolutely love GSPs, but I don't know if I could have another one. I have been looking into other breeds like Weimeraners and Vizslas. I'm leaning more towards Vizslas.

The most important thing I want to know is if this breed has a "high prey drive". Gunner was here first, so his safety will always come first when choosing a new companion.

If anyone has any experience of knowledge of Vizslas and would like to share, that would be great smile
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 12:22pm PST 
My neighbor has a Vizsla. I don't know very much about them, other than that his dog has a lot of energy (although if you are used to a GSP, you could probably handle it). I think this is a breed that could definitely benefit from having a job, or at least a lot of exercise. My neighbor hardly ever exercises his dog, and then he gets mad when he lets the dog off lead (or the dog gets out on its own) and it runs all over the neighborhood for hours.

I don't know if the dog has a high prey drive or not . . . but I do know that when he is loose, if I take Zack out he comes running. I'm not sure if he wants to play, just sniff Zack, or do something else. His owner usually gets him to come back home before he gets close enough for me to find out.

He is very friendly - once he was out at 2:30 a.m. when I came home from work, and he ran right up to meet me when I pulled in the driveway. He acted like he wanted to come inside with me. It took awhile (and some help from others) to get him back to his own house, since his owners weren't home at the time. I think they put him in an outdoor pen and he escaped.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 1:42pm PST 
I've known of several people that have had vizsla's. Some have more prey drive than others. But I have not met any that consider other dogs "prey" as these are bird dogs. However they won't hesitate to chase a squirrel if one is seen............lol. laugh out loud

At the dog park in Ca, there were quite a few vizsla's there. They all got along fine with all the dogs there. We have one vizsla that comes to the park here and he also has had no problems with dogs of all sizes.

if you get a pup, it should be easy to get him to understand not to bother Gunner too much. If you get a rescue, they should already know if they get along with smaller dogs.

I love the look of vizsla's ever since meeting my first one. They are too high energy for me but I still love the way they look and their goofy personalities. smile
[notify]

Misty

Misty "Moo Cow"

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 2:17pm PST 
Wow, I never even heard of a Vizslas, I'll have to look them up now just to see for myself. There is a new section here on dogster called Breed info. have you tried it yet? It may help in your decision. It gives some pretty good information regarding the breeds temperment, health concerns, size, etc. I found it pretty informative. Give it a shot if you haven't already. Good Luck!
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 3:13pm PST 
I have known a number of Vizslas (had a discussion about what you call more than one vizsla, don't have the answer yet). I would not worry about the prey drive. The ones I know are good with other dogs. They are softer in personality than a GSP and a little less energetic, not much, but if you enjoyed a GSP, you will enjoy a Vizsla.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Sun Jan 18, '09 9:21am PST 
Thanks for the information!
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Sun Jan 18, '09 10:08am PST 
I've always seen Vizslas as a smaller, mildly less intense version of the GSP. The few I've known were toned down in most areas when compared to Gunner and the other GSPs I've known. They had less energy (by no means were they low energy, just less than the bouncing off the walls energy of a GSP) and were a bit more reserved (at the dog show I attend, GSPs are more likely to jump up on all people in excitement, Vizslas tended to stick more to the people they know), but in most others ways are complementary to GSPs.

I don't know how high their prey drive is. Many people still hunt their Vizslas, so I'm sure that some lines have a higher drive than others. I wouldn't be worried about Gunner because a puppy raised with him is not going to see him as prey and a rescue will tell you how the dog does with other dogs. I will say it's possible for a Vizsla to see a small dog as prey (Gunner certainly has, especially Yorkies, who strongly resemble squirrels) but it is easily avoided.

Of the three (GSPs, Weims, and Vizslas), I believe the Vizsla to be the least neurotic and Weims to be the most. Most Weims I've known have suffered at least a mild form of separation anxiety, and while I'm sure some Vizslas have it as well, it seems less prominent in the breed.

Vizslas are a breed I love and admire and one I dream of adding to the family some day.
[notify]
Sadie,- GBeAD-C1

Will the real- Shady Sadie plz- stand up?

Barked: Sun Jan 18, '09 10:20am PST 
I don't know much about Vizslas, but our friend has owned one and after she passed away he got another. He said they are very intelligent and make excellent dogs. Not to mention they are gorgeous!!!
[notify]
Wren

The Princess

Barked: Sun Jan 18, '09 10:21am PST 
I can't say much on the Vizslas except they are beautiful dogs. I have always heard the are very similar to the GSH & the Weims. We adopted a 1 yr female Weim from the rescue. We had never had a Weim but live in the country, have other dogs, horses & barn cats. Our Weim is not interested in the horses at all, doesn't bother our cats & gets along great with our other dogs. Though she was a bit rough with my Australian Shepherd at first as they were about the same age. After a few corrections, that was not a problem any more. We both work during the day, so our Weim goes into her cage & doesn't seem to mind at all. Yes, they are "velcro" dogs & like to be close to their people as much as possible. Inside the house, ours is a 'couch potatoe'. Outside she has an abundance of energy but it has been easy enough to control. We have her in agility class right now. She started her 2nd session. Just wanted to give my opinion on the Weims. Good luck in whatever you choose.
[notify]
☀ M1L0

friend to all

Barked: Sun Jan 18, '09 11:57am PST 
Ugh, I wrote way too much so here is my best summary based on the three I've known:
HIGHLY intelligent (to a scary degree)
seperation anxiety WILL be a factor
HIGH HIGH HIGH ENERGY (I mean HIGH)
Manny my "nephew" acts out most when in need of mental stimulation but has been perfect with the human babies (two born after him).
LOVES playing fetch
NEVER malicious
Vizslas adore attention (good or bad) so training with that in mind is best.

About smaller dogs:
When Manny met Chachi he would incessantly hound Chachi so he could sniff him and Chachi did not like that and would run to me.
Milo is not one to run away so he stands his ground and Manny sniffs him and tries to play so I would definately say he didn't see either chihuahua as prey. Manny is also deathly afraid of Magpie the blind chihuahua who will growl a good warning at him.
My friend's Vizsla is best friends with a dachshund.

I love those giraffe legged Vizslas but they are best for people with experience and time and I think you definately fit.

Edited by author Sun Jan 18, '09 12:01pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2