GO!

Can I feed my dog ham bones?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Nauva

Can I eat this?

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 5:50pm PST 
I have the ham bone thing from the middle of the ham with some ham still on it, left over from thanksgiving lunch today. Can I feed this to my dog?
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 6:07pm PST 
In a word, no! It is cooked and can splinter.

Years ago I had a dog get a hambone from somewhere. (I suspect my then husband, but he never admitted it). My daughter woke me at 6 am tellling me there was something wrong with the dog. Little Jo was gagging, drooling and barely breathing. A piece of the hambone was wedged in her jaw ( way back ) forcing it open and out of alignment. The vet had to give her anesthesia to relax the jaw enough to get it out with pliers. I am not a morning person and this was not a good wake up call. To say nothing of the joys of carrying a 35 pound Siberian/Basenji up the stairs 3/4 asleep.

Make some bean soup with the bone. It's safer.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 6:12pm PST 
Cooked bones = no way!
[notify]

Nauva

Can I eat this?

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 6:20pm PST 
Thank you guys!
I'll ditch the bone right away!
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sun Nov 30, '08 1:52pm PST 
We just found out this is what made Bam-Bam sick and landed us at the emergency vets yesterday... a cooked ham bone. His thanksgiving present from me was a raw ham bone, but I knew he hadnt' eaten any of that. Turns out a person helping me take trash out threw the cooked bone in our back yard..............confused
[notify]
Berinhard

Owner of Souls

Barked: Sun Nov 30, '08 3:45pm PST 
Glad the dogs in this thread that have encountered cooked ham bones made it through ok!

Petstores and grocery stores carry shrink wrapped bones that are safe for dogs. I always look at the packaging for preservative info, most chemical preservatives are a no-go in my household, but tocopherols (chemical compounds with vit E activity) are fine.

Make sure you do keep an eye on your pup though, especially after he's done with the bone. I relaxed my standards once a few months ago and bought a few bones from a dollar store without checking the label at all, and it landed us at the vet's office for an enema. The vet recommended that I mix in 2Tblsp canola oil and 1/3 cup natural/organic pumpkin (not the pie filling) with some of his food to help lubricate things and assist the smooth passing of anything not passed by the enema. So if you're worried that Loki might have problems you could give him something like that before the bone...
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 8:45am PST 
Lily, the ones in our grocery are not cooked.
[notify]