GO!

Does anyones dog go potty when a friend is taking care of them?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Diablo

Diablito

Barked: Sun Nov 23, '08 10:49pm PST 
confused
So, when I'm at work and my roommate is watching my dog and takes him outside to go potty the pup won't go for him. He will wait until I get home from work. He doesn't have accidents while I'm away and my roommate/friend is good with him and I trust him implicitly with my pup. Is it just a thing? I have also had my dog for a little over a year and we are very close and inseparable. (I probably just answered my own question with that last statement.) Thanks for any input and suggestions!
[notify]
Biscuits

Move over cuz I- want to sit- there!

Barked: Sun Nov 23, '08 11:42pm PST 
How long has your friend been watching the dog? I would think the dog would eventually get used to the friend and be more comfortable around him. If the dog is all excited because it's a new person, the dog might have trouble relaxing enough to do his business.
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 5:33am PST 
I agree with Biscuit. The dog is probably just not 'ready' to do his business in front of you friend. One of the dogs I walk took a good while to work up to going when he was out with me on lead. He would go OFFlead occasionally but once he started going on lead I knew he was loving our walks. As long as your boy is not having physical difficulties with this I wouldn't worry too much.

Sammy CGC

If it runs chase- it!

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 9:37am PST 
My Sammy won't potty unless I'm there with her. If she's offlead running around she'll go on her own. But not when others take her for walks or in the backyard. I've had her for about over a year and we are inseperable too. Maybe that's my problem too.
[notify]
Luna

scratch my- booty...come on- just a lil!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 10:55am PST 
Luna is the same way and I worry sometimes too! She goes to my cousin's house 2 to 3 times a week while I am at work and stays at home the other 2 or 3 days. She never goes potty when my cousin walks her or at her house anytime. She knows and loves my cousin. This morning she walked in the house and jumped on the couch and waited for me to leave, so that is how comfortable she is there. Up until today someone would have to hold her so she didn't try to follow me out. When she stays at home while I am work I leave a potty pad down for her, but she never goes potty in the house and she never eats. I think it's seperation anxietyconfused
[notify]
Chamois

Barked: Thu Nov 27, '08 3:10am PST 
Sometimes things like that are due to dogs poor ability to generalize.

Take sit, for example: if one goes to a quiet place like, say, the closed garage. The dog learns to sit, no problem. But only in the garage, they don't realize they should respond to sit if they are anywhere else, or if anyone else tells them to, or if you are in the garage but you aren't wearing the coat you always worn before, or if you forget to give the little sideways move of your hand that you always gave and never realized you were doing it.

The other people might: take her to a different spot, or go to the same spot but not by the same route (maybe even have the dog walk right around them instead of left around them) or move instead of stand still while they wait or not move where you move, or not say the word you say, or not say the word you say with the same pitch or cadence that you say it.

If the dog really had to go, he would eventually go (although I've had a small, newly adopted dog not go for over 18 hours once waiting for something, I still don't know what... once she went in the new situation, she had no problem at all, until we went on a trip).

Since he doesn't have to go or at least doesn't have to go very badly, he waits until things are "right" to go.
[notify]