GO!

How do you know it's time...?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Alisha - *RIP my- little- angel*

*Rest in peace- my little angel*

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 3:22pm PST 
About 4 weeks ago our beloved Alisha lost her appetite, didn't eat a lot (she was always eating before) and when we went to the doc she told us Alisha had cancer of the liver and we'd have to check how fast it grows and how bad it is.
We went to the vet again today and after the ultrasound it was clear that the cancer has spread and she has water in her abdominal cavity.
She's not in pain right now, but she's weak and nervous. Her belly is swollen and it's not possible to tell how long it will be until the pain starts. The vet said it could start from one minute to the other and get really bad fast.

But she's still happy to be with us, she's still wagging her tail when I get home from work. My parents and I really don't know what to do. Should we end it now and spare her the pain or should we wait. I'm afraid I'm being selfish, not letting her go.
But she's my little baby, she's like my sister. I can't imagine her not being around.
I feel so guilty that I wasn't able to spend a lot of time with her in the past 3 years because I went away for university. I wish I had been here.
She doesn't seem like she is in pain and I just don't know what to do. It's so hard. I don't want her to leave us but I also don't want her to suffer.
[notify]
~Angel (RIP- 11/20/07)~

Busy sprinkling- angel dust all- day

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 4:26pm PST 
I think you will know when it is time. Something will change in her...it is hard to explain but you will know it. For now, enjoy the good times while you have them. hughughug
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 5:05pm PST 
It's so hard to tell. The vet said it would be better to put her down before she starts to suffer. I don't have the feeling she's in any pain right now. She just can't seem to get comfortable and she's not eating a lot. Her condition changes over the day. Sometimes she's really fit, sometimes she just lies around looking at us with sad eyes.

We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow to put her down but we don't know if we'll go. The problem is that if we don't and her condition gets worse over the weekend we'll have to go to the ER to put her down and she'll be even more nervous as it's an envoirement she doesn't know. And even if she does make it over the weekend I'm scared something will happen when I'm at work. I'm doing an internship right now and I just hope that they'll let me go. If not I'd go anyways.
It's just so hard to decide when you still have the feeling she's doing quite good. But as I said, it could change any minute and it would just kill me to see her in pain. I want to be there when she goes, I want to hold er in my arms, kiss her and tell her she'll be allright.
My grandma died 4 years ago and she loved Alisha and my mom said today "You'll go to grandma and play with her and you two will watch over us from up there until we join you one day".
I'm constantly crying because I just can't imagine life without her. cry
[notify]

~Angel (RIP- 11/20/07)~

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 6:19pm PST 
hughug See how she is tomorrow. If she is still okay, put it off another day....I know what you mean. Angel had good days and bad ones where I made appointments and then cancelled them. You don't want to give up on her too soon, but you don't want her to suffer. I understand completely. I wish I could tell you what to do. I would say don't do it until you're ready and you can really tell that she is ready...that may bring on a trip to the ER...but she will be calm if you are with her. Angel was taken to a vet she had never been to before. She was very calm. hughughughug
[notify]
Malachai

Sweetheart

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 7:16pm PST 
When our IS passed away on the 17th we knew he would not make it through the night. He was constantly pacing, could'nt get comfortable and also kept coming to me and putting his head under my hand. People say you will see it in their eyes and I have to say I DID see it in his eyes. His eyes no longer had a gleam in them and just looked very tired and droopy. I almost felt like they were telling me that the time has come. Trust your instincts...you know your Alisha and will notice different signs. Cherish the time you have with her now and just let her know how much you love her! hug
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 12:59am PST 
Ok, it's 10 am now and we cancelled the appointment. I talked to her this morning and her eyes told me she wants to stay for a bit. She ate her chicken for breakfast and when I came down she was so happy to see me. She still has that happy glow in her eyes. She's not ready to go, I can feel it. The doctor has an emergency line and we can call her whenever Alisha is ready.
I just couldn't bring myself to put her down just because of the vet's opening hours. She's still doing fine, and she'll tell us when she wants to go.
I'll go downstairs now to cuddle her and spend the last few hours/days with her. Thank you all so much for your support, it feels so good to talk to people who have been through the same.
Big hugs to you all and when the time comes for my little Baby I'll tell her all your little angels are waiting for her up there and she'll have the best time with them. hug
[notify]
Malachai

Sweetheart

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 5:32am PST 
I am so glad to hear that Alisha isn't ready yet! Sounds like she still has some spunk and wants to spend more time with all of you! I really believe you are an alert mum and you will know when she's had enough. My IS wouldn't even go outside to potty on the day he passed away (we had to carry him) and he also couldn't hold his bladder through the night anymore. The loss of bladder control started about 10 days before he died. He did eat some that day, so don't always rely on that. All dogs are different. Just enjoy your time with her and she will let you know when she's in pain. Good Luck and we will say a prayer for you all hug
[notify]
~Angel (RIP- 11/20/07)~

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 7:51am PST 
I'm glad you listened to her and your own gut feelings. Enjoy the time you have with her. hughug
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 1:57pm PST 
Think you made the right choice. Now spend time with her , make some memories, take some photos or a film clip, talk to her, tell her all about your day and how you will miss her. Maybe make a memory box or book while she is still at your side so you have all your pics and thoughts to remember her.dog take care
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 3:35pm PST 
The idea with the memory book is great.
Thank you all for helping me through this difficult time, it means so much to me. It's amazing how strangers like you are giving me so much strength.
We tried giving her food every two hours today. In the afternoon she ate a couple of slices of cooked chicken ham and she licked a little bit of curd cheese from my fingers. Then she lost her appetite again.
But this evening she ate another 10 slices of cooked chicken ham and she enjoyed it so much. She was lying around sleeping most of the day but every couple of hours she was so full of energy, it was such a joy to watch her.
I can't believe we almost put her down this morning. It was a beautiful day with her. I just hope she won't have any pain.
My mom and I talked tonight and said that when the time comes, we wish she would just fall asleep and not wake up again. A peaceful, quiet death.
I talked to her again tonight before she went to bed (she sleeps beside my parent's bed) and told her how much I love her, and that if she wants to go, she can and she should give me a sign that she wants to. And I told her that she was the best dog in the world, and she'll join her friend Kira in heaven and that when the time comes we'll see each other again some day, and until then she should wait for me and remember how much I love her and how much fun we had together.
I'm going to bed now (if I can sleep at all) and pray to god she's still fine tomorrow morning.
Thank you all again for your support, I can't even tell you how much this means to me. hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2