GO!

Salmon oil PROBLEMS yikes!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lilly Ana- Rose

those SIR...are- MY green- balls!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:38pm PST 
I tried the salmon oil with my two dogs, who are fed a home made meal every night (yay!)...and after a couple weeks of one pill split between them (40lb dogs)...they were itching like crazy!!! Non stop itching/scratching/whining. Flea meds were given, skin was checked, almost raw at this point...nothing worked. I figure, IT HAS TO BE THE SALMON OIL!
sOOOOO I stopped giving it to them and they are "non itch" doggies again.
Anyone else have this issue and switched to another oil?? Or just not use it all together??

Happy Monday night!!
[notify]
Xena

Where's my ball?

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:39pm PST 
Crapola. I just bought a bottle of Salmon Oil for $17 at my local supply store... Now I am paranoid to give it to them...

At least you were able to figure the problem out quickly, though!way to go
[notify]
Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:44pm PST 
usually fish oil helps the itching! She must be sensitive to fish!
[notify]

Karl Pierre

Oh my. Where did- all this hair- come from

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 5:42am PST 
I'd agree with Gabe. It could be an allergy. We've used it for a while and had good results. All dogs are different though, and at least you figured it out.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 7:00am PST 
hmm, thats strange, my allergic dog does well on it, maybe it had some other additives in it, I get either bear treats brand or grizzly bear, the only ingridients are salmon oil and rosemary extract.
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 8:33am PST 
Hmmm...strange.
I have allergies and that stuff helps so much. We use the Grizzly stuff.

Sometimes mommy uses another kind though. Royal Coat Express...it's fish oil, vitamin E, borage oil...
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 9:39am PST 
Was the supplement pure fish oil, or are there other ingredients? Some supplements contain other things besides fish oil and those could very easily lead to itching -- soybean oil, other vegetable oils, and flax oil are some likely ones.

If you got a good quality pure salmon oil you might want to steer clear of salmon oil in the future and maybe try another type of fish oil like sardine, herring, and/or mackerel.
[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 9:47am PST 
Blake had problems with salmon oil, too, in the form of itchy, goopey eyes. I added it to his diet as a good source of omegas. The eye problems started several days later. It took me about a week to realize that the oil was the culprit. I stopped giving it, and he's been fine since. I was surprised, but I guess fish oil intolerance is possible. He's never had whole salmon; I wonder how that would go...
[notify]
Cinnamon Grrrl

The Little Bad- Wolf

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 10:22am PST 
Well, people can be allergic to fish, so I imagine dogs can too. Sounds like that's what's going on here, unless there are other ingredients in the salmon oil.
[notify]
UR01 Bandit - RA

I did it!!!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 5:32pm PST 
I've tried the Grizzly Salmon Oil and both dogs rubbed their faces on the carpeting after eating it. I didn't think much of it until they both ended up scratching their faces all evening. I tried it once more a couple of weeks later and had the same thing happen again. I just found it strange that it happened to BOTH dogs..... I would have to say it's allergies..... but I still find it strange to have had the same reaction out of both dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3