GO!

French speaking pups... Mom has a question

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dakota

Dig, Dig, dig, I- love to Dig!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 12:47pm PST 
Hello everyone, I know it's been a few months since we've been around dogster. Mom has been down with quite an illness. She's getting better tho smile and she has a question for all the French or bi-lingual pups here. We are an English speaking family but have one of the kids in French in school. They are trying to turn me into a bi-lingual pup as well. but Mom wants to make sure they are using the proper terms to teach me. As they are only just learning french as well. We mainly only want the basics for now... (sit, lay down, paw, treat/cookie, etc) if someone could post the French translations to those it would be great. Mommy went onto one of those translation websites but got too confused. BOL she also want me to ask that if you could also somehow explain how to pronounce the french words that would be great. BOL... whats with humans and trying to turn us bi-lingual.shrug
[notify]
Redwood- Krest's Nova- CGC

I want the Ball!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 1:54pm PST 
Please don't you should only have one voice command for each behaviour. Choose a language and stick to it, Being bi-lingual does nothing to help your puppy but only provide it with unnecessary complication. The only reason to have two different commands for one behaviour is to have a hand signal and a voice signal.
[notify]
molly

wiggle- wiggle- bum!!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 1:57pm PST 
i agree you should not use 2 languages to train!but im sure there is no harm in learning them small words like ... mum, walk, dad, etc in French. do you mind me asking why you want your dog to be bilingual?
[notify]

Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '08 2:53pm PST 
HI Dakota,,I remember you when you first came on to dogster and you were a wee cute chunky puppy girl ...but alas I am still the same wise guy I was then . So to answer your question , the only French words you should learn are " French Fries " & French Toast on Sunday's" ..thats it ....laugh out loudlaugh out loud
Thor wave
PS I kinda agree with the other posters
[notify]
Rosie- *FOUND*

www.findrosie.co- m

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '08 2:59pm PST 
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag.htm

Check out list one on this site. I train in English, German and handsignals - pretty common in the German Shepherd world.
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '08 3:28pm PST 
I think it is the tone of voice that matters when commanding to sit or stay and it may be possible to train a bilingual dog , but this may cause confusion to a young dog , it could be best to train both languages from the word go, reinforcing the english 'sit' with the french 'asilla vous'.
Dogs are very clever and can learn sign language even a hearing dog reads our body language and understands what we ask!!!dog
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '08 4:21pm PST 
Make sure you use the same hand signals whatever the language, it will help keep frustration down. If you hold your hand up and say "sit," do the same when you say "reposez-vous" (or whatever means sit in French). A dog can learn multiple languages. Sedona is picking up Portuguese faster than I am and we’re not actively teaching herlaugh out loud
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '08 5:21pm PST 
Je parle francais! Not too hot at grammar, though, in any language.

You can certainly train your dog in more than one language, as Rosie said, it is very common in the GSD world. When you give a command in French, though, you drop the subject subject tu or vous, and you just use the present tense of the verb. I gave a little "pronunciation guide", bol - remember, French is a little more "flowy" than English, I have no other way to put it...we have very tight stops between our words and French, not so much. I have NO idea how to articulate what I am trying to say, so, meh, here ya go:

Sit: repose (Ray-Pose)
Down: descends (Day-saunds)
Stay: reste (Res-tay)
Watch me: regarde (literally, to look at, "observer" mean to watch, but this command is easier, add "moi" of you want to get technical) (Ray-gaurd)
Come: venez ici (come here, literally, I use this one) (Veh-nay ee-cee)
Go: vas (Va)
Wait: attends (Uh-tonds)

So, a few endings are the vous form, not tu, but these are nice crisp commands. Have fun, let me know if you want more.

PS: I call my dogs "my little puppies" in French all the time, or "Mes petits chiens" --> technically, this means my little dogs, but puppy is chiots, and, well, mes petits chiots sounds like I am calling them my little sh*ts, so.....

The one I use is pronounced "May petite she-ens" - it rolls off the tongue nicely and is a cute little term of endearment I use, so, if you want to expand the French into sweet talk, there you go!
wink

Edited by author Wed Mar 12, '08 5:35pm PST

Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '08 8:11pm PST 
Thor - is that you trying to be funny?wink

Otto is bi-lingual - English and Japanese. His puppy raisers were born and raised in Japan. As a young scatter brained puppy he behaved better with commands given in Japanese; as someone mentioned it had to do with the tone of voice.

I would offer one word of caution on the use of hand commands with verbal commands; sometimes the dog requires both to perform the command - at least that has been the experience of service dog trainers. This might not be an issue for an able bodied person. For someone with a mobility disability this could be a huge disadvantage. Otto knows hand commands and verbal commands, but I never give both together - probably because I don't always have a free hand!laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Mar 12, '08 8:24pm PST

[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '08 8:20pm PST 
Otto ..just being funny..people can train their dogs any way they want ........Thor wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2