GO!

Spaying later

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chance

I am loved

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '08 6:50pm PST 
Chance is three years old and unaltered, it was never done because of the intent to breed her but I ended up deciding to just get another Toller pup instead (way more fun, no?). Especially after her performance at her last agility trial, I really feel it would be best for her.

Does spaying have any behavior benefits later in life? Would it make her more focused and a better performance dog?

It'll probably be done anyway, but I'm hoping there will be some fringe benefits to go with.

Poor Chance, she has no idea. laugh out loud
[notify]
Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '08 7:16pm PST 
You should speak with your vet about it, but I believe that female dogs that are allowed to have heat after heat without getting bred are at increased risk of developing cystic endometrial hyperplasia, which can be associated with pyometra (a serious uterine infection). Not sure if, past adolescence, there are any added benefits or differences with regard to behavior being intact vs. spayed. If there are, they are more subtle than the ones people see with intact male dogs. (I know - life is unfair for us females...)

I guess the one big disadvantage is that once you have the spay done, you can't have it undone, should you decide to have puppies. (Again, it's not like in boys, where they can have their sperm frozen or something...)
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '08 10:13pm PST 
I am very glad to hear you decided to spay her.

I know you will get mixed opinions on this, but I tend to think being spayed would make them better performers, for simple fact that a female coming into heat, in heat, and going out of heat has other things on her mind. Also, though I have no idea, I would imagine physically they may feel less up to par then when they are not in heat. However, there are those who insist for sports like schutzhund, having the animal intact is better, especially if it is a male.

But, again, I am sure you will get both sides of the debate on this one, but I would say spay sooner rather than later. A spay is a much bigger surgery on an adult female than a neuter on an adult male, and the younger and healthier the animal the better.

There is an endless debate on the best time to alter an animal, and neither side, in my opinion, has an overwhelming upper hand in the debate. Since you are planning on doing it anyway, I would spay as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '08 2:00am PST 
I don't believe it will have any effect on Chance.

My old husky wasn't neutered until he was 3 years old (due to health problem on top of health problem that made it unhealthy for him to have the surgery). There was no negative side effect to it. In fact, we only had positive effects. He stopped humping every guest we had over, calmed down around other dogs and people, and he even started gaining weight that had been such a problem for him before hand.

And my sister didn't get her dog neutered until he was 6 years old. This was because she went through a very reputable breeder with champion blood lines in both show and agility with her Aussies. My sister ended up with the pick of the litter and signed an agreement not to neuter him in case she decided that she wanted to use him as a stud, but that she was also not to breed him for profit anywhere else. After five years she finally contacted the breeder and asked for permission to neuter him and the breeder agreed that it was fine. And there was no negative side effects there either.

I always think of it this way. There are a lot of dogs in shelters that don't get neutered or spayed until they are much older because they don't wind up in the shelter or caring hands until that point. And people sing the praises of shelter dogs.

I think it would be in Chance's better interests to be fixed because you never know when an accident can happen and you have an unexpected litter on the way.

And good luck with the next puppy. I love the Nova Scotia's! I considered getting one myself a while ago, but fell head over heels for corgis. Still love 'em though and root for them in the dog shows! Who knows...maybe some day when I have a bigger place. laugh out loud
[notify]
Clay R.I.P.- my handsome- boy!!

my mom hasn't- seen anything- yet!

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '08 2:10am PST 
That's great that you are going to spay your girl. It is so much more healthy for them.The only thing you are going to need to watch for now is feeling her mammory glands to make sure she doesn't get lumps.Once dogs are allowed to have their heat cycles they are more lkely to get mammory tumors.
As far a s her performance she may be a bit slow for several months but should be back to normal in no time. Alot of peoplke don't realize that it does take a female close to a year to recover from a spay when they are older.That's how long it take the body to adjust.Longer for people.
[notify]
Chance

I am loved

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '08 6:12pm PST 
Ohhhh no. smile Do not lump me into the irresponsible pet owner group and thank me for spaying my dog lol. She's been health tested and all that jazz, I just didn't end up going through with it.

I don't believe in accidents, and would not allow one to happen so really I'm only doing it because I'm hoping she will lighten up a bit and well I'm not breeding her so why keep her intact. wink

It wasn't her actual heats that were a problem (she only comes into heat about once a year), it was her personality and behavior.

I know the health effects, I just wondered about other things.
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '08 8:50pm PST 
I did not see anyone thanking you for spaying her, or anyone lumping you anywhere, bol. Where you talking about my comment that I am glad you are spaying her? No need to be sensitve, I am glad when any animal is speutered, no matter what the reason or who the owner is!
smile
Pi

My name is Pi- and I'm a belly- rub addict

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '08 9:48pm PST 
Good for you for getting her spayed applause

Edited by author Fri Feb 8, '08 9:49pm PST

[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 3:06am PST 

I don't believe in accidents, and would not allow one to happen so really I'm only doing it because I'm hoping she will lighten up a bit and well I'm not breeding her so why keep her intact. wink

There's a reason they don't call them "purposes" you know!laugh out loud

Even with the most careful management, you can't 100% guarantee that an accident will never happen. Oops litters happen occasionally to even the most careful, responsible breeders. Sometimes all it takes is a family crisis at the wrong time, so that either the person responsible for the dogs is distracted and has a moment's inattention, or someone other than the usual person/people is keeping an eye on the dogs to help out--and doesn't understand the importance of keeping the bitch in heat separated from the other dog(s) when they "really want to play."

At three, it shouldn't affect her personality any. It will mean she's not distracted by being in heat for a few weeks every time she goes into season. It will slow her down for a while because it takes more time for an adult to recover from major surgery like that. It will relieve her of the risk of pyometra, too, which could kill her or result in an emergency spay, which would be much riskier under those circumstances.

Go for it.
[notify]
Bailey

Proudly- defending the- homefront

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 8:16am PST 
It probably won't change her behaviour, but it will prevent potentially fatal pyometra, and uterine, and ovarian cancers. As well as eliminating any chance of an unwanted accidental pregnancy. And wouldn't that be great? smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2