GO!

I keep throwing up!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Mud

MOOOOOMMMM I- need to roll in- that!!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 9:21pm PST 
So mud is a little over a year and about 3 months ago we had to move in with my inlaws and their two dogs who she loves. Thats about when this started.
Mud will be fine for a while and then just start throwing up. for about 3 days straight she wont be able to keep much down. dont get me wrong, she is happy as can be even when shes throwing up ((exept for that moment right after where she gets that guilty look)) It doesnt seem to have anything to do with when shes active after eating or when shes more then average active or anything. its just.... random.
As of last night we stepped into one of these spells. Now I know i need to get her to the vet and find out a for sure answer but i just dont have the money till the 10th.
What can i do for her for now?
What can you give a dog with an upset stomach to calm it????
HELP!
[notify]
Leo

I'm part polar- bear!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 10:01pm PST 
Pepto-Bismal is supposed to calm tummies - but constant throwing up alarms me - is there any way you can put the vet fees on a credit card or explain the situation?
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 10:50pm PST 
Mud, some vets are also understanding enough to hold a post-dated check, if you explain the situation. Continual vomitting seems alarming enough to call around and see if someone would be willing to do that... Max got pepto frequently when he was a puppy... he was always finding things to eat that he shouldn't and would vomit or have an upset stomache. just let them lick a bit of it or get a liquid syringe (not sure what they are really called, but the ones you use for babies to give liquid meds- I know you can buy them at any pharmacy...). Hope you feel better soon!

PS- could it just be stress from being in a strange environment? Sorry, but I think you said you moved, was it far- sometimes even the different water can be enough to upset them. Also make sure no one in the house is slipping Mud any additional foods (table scraps, etc) until you narrow down the cause!
[notify]

♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 10:51pm PST 
I would go to vet as soon as you can or maybe call and talk to them. A bland diet s often helpful(rice chicken broth and the like). Maybe ate something of other pets or outside possibly. feel better sweetie and good luckhugpartyhughughug
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 11:12pm PST 
what is he eating? good luck!! i hope you baby feels better soon!!!

oh...ginger ale is good for human tummies, the carbonation helps and there's something in ginger that helps....maybe if you took a piece of ginger and made a tea type drink out of it? and served it room temp? just get some ginger at the grocery store, and smush it and then put it in some water, maybe with a small amount of honey to make it more palatable....you dont have to peel the ginger, though cutting it may help instead of just crushing a big chunk...

hugwishes
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 12:58am PST 
frown Definitely try to get him to the vet as soon as you can. It could be any number of things that cause him to throw up, from bad food to something outside to a parasite. Make sure he is staying hydrated..that is extremely important when your pup is vomitting. GL and let us know what happens.wishes
[notify]
Sydney, My- Angel, RIP

Expert Human- Trainer

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 4:18am PST 
Oh Mud! I'm so sorry! You need to go to the vet ASAP! I just was at the vet after a spell of throwing up. I had pancreatitis and the vet said that it was caused from either a virus (which you could have caught from other dogs) or the prednisone I was on. They told me if I would have waited, it could have been fatal. I had to spend the night in the hospital and had IVs. Some dogs get pancreatitis from overly fatty foods and sometimes it happens for no apparent reason. Prayers are with you. Please let us know what happens.

Oh and call your vet and explain the circumstances, most will work out payment arrangements for you.
[notify]
Brandy (in- loving- memory)

Smile & you'll- see one's heart- will fall

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 4:43am PST 
Throwing up is something quite serious since Mud looses lots of fluid and can't possibly take anything including any medicine down. Especially when it happens many times, he will probably need IV as well to quench the dehydration.
Mud's mum, you had better take him to the vet and explain your financial problem. Hope the vet will understand and give you a bit freedom on this aspect.

Hugs to you and Mud
[notify]
Mud

MOOOOOMMMM I- need to roll in- that!!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 1:26pm PST 
thanks for all the replies. we have a vet appointment this monday. the throwing up has settled down to about once a day now, thats with the pepto. she is on a ground beef (boiled) and rice ((thanks for the advice on all of this!))
the vet shes going to is post dating the check so we're going to see what happens from here.
hopefully nothing too serious...

Edited by author Sat Feb 2, '08 1:26pm PST

[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 1:44pm PST 
Good luck for monday,keep us posted!!!!
The Quigsterdog
[notify]