GO!

itching is SO BAD! I'm going bald!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Winston

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 12:21pm PST 
So, Winston started itching REALLY bad about 2 weeks after I started feeding him Canidae. I waited a month on the food to see if it stopped, but it just kept getting worse.

I switched him to Natural Balance (Potato and Duck) (yes I know there are better allergy formula puppy foods--but I have to feed my dogs--one is not a puppy--- the same food)

This is his second week on it and he is still itching really bad....how long should it take for him to stop itching if it was the Canidae.

He is loosing his hair on his face, stomach, and legs from biting and scratching and he's all red and scabby! EWWW
[notify]
Dickens

I may not be- smart, but darn- i'm cute!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 1:10pm PST 
wave hiya Winston, I know this won't help at all, but it may not be the food. My brother, TJ, has seasonal allergies that make him itch up a storm and his started a few weeks ago as well.....it could be the change in the weather, dry skin, pollen in the air.......who knows? I hope your itchies get better sweetie. It may be worth a trip to the vet for some allergy relief.

Edited by author Thu Nov 15, '07 1:11pm PST

[notify]
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 1:13pm PST 
First off, I have to say, YOU ARE ADORABLE!!

Is it at all possible you have the dreaded "f" word?? shhFleas?silenced

Winston

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 1:16pm PST 
well..it could be seasonal, that is what I was thinking as well. But I noticed it didn't start until I started feeding him Canidae (before it was Nutro Ultra Puppy). So that is why I was trying to blame it on the food..also I am trying to avoid the vet at all costs. BUT yeah,

NOO NOOOOO it can't be fleas at all. I am on flea medication and have never had a flea on me! smile
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 1:21pm PST 
Is there a similar ingredient in both foods? shrug Again, it could be seasonal, depending on where you live... Jagger's eyes are all runny because it's autumn, we turn on the heat inside (hot and dry) and it's humid and cold outside. Plus, all the leaves are decomposing. = allergies...
Maybe you could call your vet and ask for a suggestion for something to sooth allergies (Benadryl or something)... I hope you feel better soon!
[notify]
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 1:22pm PST 
It could be an allergy to the grass seeds that are just now coming to fruition, or it could be an allergy to laundry detergent...

Sometimes it take weeks for us to show an allergic reaction. That is why it is so hard to pinpoint an exact thing.

Best of luck!
Glad you don't have fleas....wink
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 1:23pm PST 
I've been itchy cause I'm eating the almonds on the gound outside.

kitty

Hope you feel better soon! Benedryl is great! I also get Betagen spray, but a vet has to give it to you.

Have you been bathed in oatmeal shampoo yet?
Turbo

Lets go- camping!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 4:00pm PST 
If it is seasonal allergies, local raw natural honey works wonders. Add a tsp to your food. You can also add the Raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar to your food, 1 tsp, to help with allergies. Good Luck!!!!
[notify]
Winston

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 5:12pm PST 
I have asked this question before and Turbo I remember you saying the Honey thing. So I went to a farm right down the street from here and got some that was made there, well it didn't work AT ALL. So it made me think it maybe wasn't seasonal.

Also, our laundry soap has NO dyes or fragrance bc I am also highly sensitive to things like that.

so hmmm....

AH, where is a free vet when you need it? thinking
[notify]
Cooper

My Mama loves- me.

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 6:51pm PST 
Hi Winston. Cooper has the same problem. He hasn't itched himself bald, but he was itching alot. And licking his feet. I had switched from a not so great food to Candiae Lamb and Rice. After a while I noticed his itching wasn't any better and it was actually kind of worse. I thought maybe the lamb was to rich for him or maybe he is allergic to lamb. I switched to Canidae Chicken and Rice. No change. So, I bought Natural Balance Duck and Potato. He LOVES it and his itching is getting better. He loves it so much that we drove 77 miles to the nearest pet store and bought a 30 pound bag. I know you're supposed to give it a month to see any changes, but I have noticed a difference. He started it on November 5th. It's a great food and I'm so glad he likes it. He actually dives into his dish!laugh out loud And I too know that it wasn't fleas on Cooper because I took him to the vet about his itching and he looked for fleas and found none. He said to continue with Benadryl, but it didn't seem to be working anymore so I stopped giving it to him. Someday when I can afford it, I will have an allergy test done. Plus, it's really cold here now, so that also could be helping.

Good Luck!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3