GO!

Petsmart groomer's question

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Riley Star CGC

I'm A Little- Thief

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 8:05pm PST 
I recently started a dog bathing job at my local petsmart. They want to send me to their academy in January. My issue is, they arent sure if the academy is the one thats an hour away or three hours away (in NYC). If its in NYC I'd almost rather go to the NY School of Dog Grooming.

I'd like to get some insight from anyone else that has done the Petsmart Academy. Do you really learn alot, or would I be better off going to the NY School? Also, if I decided to do the NY School, it would be 10 weeks instead of Petsmarts 1 month... do you think they'd hire me back as a stylist after I graduate from the NY school?

Basically just looking for any details on what the academy is like and such. Thanks!

Riley's mom
[notify]
Scruffy

poopy butt

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 11:09pm PST 
I'm from NYC and have never heard anything good about the academy. I went through the Petco classes in Pittsburgh, PA, where I've been living for the last 4 years, and I was lucky enough to have, in my opinion, the navy seal of groomers train me in a class setting at my home store, not at the actual Petco school. I know Petsmart is a little different but along the same lines. If anything, like Petco, you might even be able to do an apprenticeship under the grooming manager of the store ( more one on one) , maybe another option. Good luck and have fun!
[notify]
Scruffy

poopy butt

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 11:15pm PST 
P.S. I believe with the Petsmart training you're paid, and NY "school" YOU pay. Not sure if that's the case anymore but why would you want to do that? bol
[notify]

Riley Star CGC

I'm A Little- Thief

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 4:40am PST 
I'd want to do it for a better resume. Not to mention you still have to pay petsmart $650 for supplies and sign a 2 year contract. I wouldn't be in my home store training, I'd either be going one hour or three hours away - which they don't know yet.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 8:11pm PST 
have you checked out apprenticing at a local salon? that's a good way to learn one on one and hands on. you may have to start out as a bather for a few months though depending on the groomer. i went the apprenticeship way and think it's a better idea(then again i'm biasedlaugh out loud ) don't give up, if you really want to be a groomer it'll happen.

oh, and remember in this job you never stop learning so plan on attending seminars and such to keep those skills sharp and up to date
[notify]
Rubie Pie

Rubie Pie

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 4:41pm PST 
I went through the academy and it was totally worth it. You pay the $650 in tools with each paycheck. Around $30-35 of each paycheck (which goes by pretty quickly) & you're paid to be there. Can't beat that. Then after see if you want to go to a different acacemy to learn more about show cuts. That's what I want to do.
[notify]
ACE

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '07 9:16am PST 
the acadamy at corporate stores varies greatly. i had an absolutely terrible instructor, so i wouldnt say that was worth it. do some research on who is training and if they are good then go for it.

be aware that these places do not always teach the best grooming. you are not going to get the breed cuts or anything like that. i have known so many who got trained at corporate, then left to go to a private salon and were told they needed to be retrained.

have you considered going to petco instead? they pay bathers a lot more, wnd their contract is only one year.
[notify]
Bluebell &- Azra

Who's calling me- a Poodle?

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '07 5:25pm PST 
I don't know about the Petsmart Academy, but we've hired two recent graduates from the NY School of Dog Grooming and they both were horrible. They didn't know how to cut nails, how to hold or use clippers, how to scissor a foot...nothing. I couldn't believe how little they knew. Just my experience, I could've been "lucky" to get the two worst students (but how they were passed I will never understand).
[notify]
Riley Star CGC

I'm A Little- Thief

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '07 10:38am PST 
Bluebell, thats interesting. Thanks for the input.

As far as going to petco, our only petco is 40 mins away so that wouldnt work. I guess I have more research to do.
[notify]
Reba

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '07 11:29am PST 
I am with Deisel on this one. I have been a groomer for 35 years. Go find a really competent groomer in your area and work for them. You will learn much more and much faster. 4 or 6 weeks of grooming schools will not get you close to being ready to groom pets. After you get out of school you will still need to work under a good groomer for at least a year.
Also remember that Petsmart & Petco have quite a lot of bad publisity due to poor grooming and injured animals.
If this is really your dream, go for it. All this time and I still love my job. Seminars and grooming contest are also a good way to keep up on what going on in the business.
good luck to yousnoopy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3