GO!

Pinch collar- youngest age?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '07 10:50pm PST 
I am wondering what the youngest age anyone would consider using a pinch/prong collar on a dog would be?

I know most people here don't condone the use of these. I'm not really debating that. Just wondering what the youngest age would be to use one.
[notify]
Barkley

It's cold- outside I want- to stay inside.

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 8:58am PST 
I personally have never had a use for them and definately am not a supporter. I wouldn't put one on a puppy of any age!

We have used a plain choke collar, but even that was pushing the boundaries for me! Our obedience class did request it, so we learned to use it properly. The youngest age for the obedience class was 6 months old. By this time a lot of the dogs are big enough and strong enough that it was needed. However I would never put the plain choke on a pup any younger than 6 months.

Sorry to ask, but do you actually need it?
[notify]
Oreo

I am the People- Whisperer!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 10:08am PST 
You might want to try using a martingale (training collar) before using a pinch collar. You'd get the same results if you used it correctly.

If you are set on a pinch collar, then I agree that the youngest you could use one would be 6 months old. Just make sure you use it correctly and place it at the base of the head.
[notify]

Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 10:26am PST 
I would say a dog at about a year... because they are more developed and by then you should have some basic training with them so they can know what to expect out of their regime.

And... though I do not support the use of any training collar, a pinch collar is much more humane than a choke collar or an improperly fitted martingale.
[notify]
Natasha

>Go- ahead- run...

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 12:22pm PST 
Large breeds is 6 months and all others are around a year.

Tasha was wearing hers (not hooked up) at 5 months then it got hooked up at 6 months.
[notify]
Bruno

Brunoski

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 12:55pm PST 
This was something we had thought about trying with our Bruno. We have the standard choke chain which works better than just his nylon (with metal buckle...no more escaping boys for me) collar, but he still pulls and it pinches him. I don't like it, but all my efforts to get him to quit pulling are not working. So, I thought about the prong callar too. Somewhere, someone said it works like the mother dog doing a "bite correction". I wonder if this is so. I sure don't want to hurt him...what do you think?
[notify]
Conrad

PLEASE DON'T- LEAVE ME!!!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 2:46pm PST 
Since mother dogs don't require their pups to walk on a loose leash, I doubt that's how a prong collar works. A prong collar works because it hurts. The dog pulls, it hurts. But it hurts in a safer way than a choker because it doesn't constrict indefinitely like a noose, just enough to cause a pinch.

Have you tried the method that Asher's mom has a video of on Asher's page? A no-pull harness? I have a SENSE-ible harness for Conrad and he walks great in it.
[notify]
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 3:37pm PST 
The OP asked what age... Not what to use!

I personally would wait until the dog was a year, I don't care what size. However, one of my trainers (that I am not to fond of) thinks 4-6 months is okay...
[notify]
Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 4:26pm PST 
I was more responding to Bruno, but the reason behind the "what age" question might require going in to why they shouldn't be used on a younger dog and some alternatives.
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 9:38pm PST 
The reason I was asking was because yesterday I was at the dog perk with Roswell. I have a martingale for him, and use a Halti when I know it's a highly excitable situation that I might need more control for. I know he's not the most well trained on a leash... the question though isn't about him.

When we were there, a man and woman came in with their two pitbull puppies. They had to be all of maybe 10 weeks old and were both being weighed down with these huge prong collars. eek The people left the collars on the dog the whole time, so it made me wonder if these poor pups had to wear these all the time at home too, or if it was just for the dog park. I was hoping they'd take them off the puppies, as I thought the dogs were way too young for these things (seriously, they can't control a 15# dog without a pinch collar?) and also the possibility of injury to themselves or other dogs if they played seemed pretty high.

I would never use one on a dog that young, as there's really no need for it. How many puppies that age wouldn't respond to more positive training methods? Were they just doing this for 'show'? I was really annoyed by the people so I didn't really talk to them and find out what their reasoning was. I just felt bad for the dogs. I was just questioning here because I wasn't sure if there's an age that people would say 'definitely not before X amount of months ".

Thanks for weighing in on it though big grin.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3