GO!

Mutts and Moms vs. Ellen Degeneres

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 45: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Blizzard

Furry Gal

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 11:40am PST 
Ellen DeGeneres is in the doghouse with a pet rescue agency after giving a pooch away to her hairdresser because it didn't get along with her cats.

The talk show hostess and her partner Portia de Rossi adopted Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix, on Sept. 20. But when things didn't work out, DeGeneres gave the dog to her hairdresser. In doing so, DeGeneres violated an agreement with the Mutts and Moms dog rescue agency by not informing them of the handoff.

When the agency called DeGeneres to ask about Iggy, she said she found another home for the dog. The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away.

DeGeneres went public about the situation Monday while taping an episode of her show to air Tuesday. She admitted she didn't read all the paperwork involving the adoption.

DeGeneres said she spent $3,000 having the dog neutered and trained to be with her cats. But the dog had too much energy and was too rambunctious, she told her television audience.

"I guess I signed a piece of paper that says if I can't keep Iggy, it goes back to the rescue organization, which is not someone's home, which is not a family," she said in a show transcript provided to The Associated Press.

"I thought I did a good thing. I tried to find a loving home for the dog because I couldn't keep it." DeGeneres said her hairdresser's daughters, ages 11 and 12, had bonded with Iggy and were heartbroken when the dog was taken away.

"Because I did it wrong, those people went and took that dog out of their home, and took it away from those kids," a sobbing DeGeneres said on her show.

I feel totally responsible for it and I'm so sorry. I'm begging them to give that dog back to that family," she said. "It's not their fault. It's my fault. I shouldn't have given the dog away. Just please give the dog back to those little girls."

Mutts and Moms, a volunteer nonprofit organization in Pasadena, does not have a listed phone number and didn't immediately respond to an e-mail request for comment.

The Associated Press.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 11:54am PST 
I love Ellen and I know how much she loves animals. I truly believe she did not mean any harm.. it's a truly unfortunate situation. The rules are there for a reason and it's so important to read all the paperwork. I think most rescues have that return policy.... however, they should take time to personally explain it to a client for no other reason but to avoid a situation such as this. I hope it works out.
[notify]
Elliot

I am larger than- life, no really- I AM

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 12:11pm PST 
Ellen is great, but this was a little too much drama for me. If you sign a contract you read it first! I am sure especially being a celebrity she is well aware of this. Who knows what the rescue told her? Any reputable rescue would have taken the puppy away from the family immedeatly. The rules are there for a reason. To avoid situations exactly like this.
The sad thing is that this will shed a bad light on rescue even though they did the exact right thing.
[notify]

Brandy

Brandylicious!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 12:13pm PST 
Thanks for the post Blizzard, I just read the story online as well.

Honestly, that's what happens when you don't read what you sign. I believe the agency did what they're supposed to do. I mean, we all know that most rescues have astringent adoption policies; one of them being home visits. Essentially one of their dogs was placed in a home that they knew nothing about so to protect him from an unknown family, the agency had to take him out. I'm sure if they filed for adoption and passed all the requirements like everyone else, the agency would be more than happy to bring the dog into it's furever home.

*rant alert*

Ok, I'm sorry, but honestly I hate when children are brought into things for the sake of getting what you want. Yea ok, it's sad that the dog was "coldly torn" from the children but how are they going to grow up if they don't have some hardships? I'm not trying to say what should or shouldn't be done with these kids, but cmON! They're 11 and 12, I think they could be explained somehow what happened. I think she's really crying b/c she essentially lost the dog.

True story, back when I worked retail I worked in a video games store in a mall. At the end of the night we dropped our gate like normal. A woman comes up to the gate (no lie!) about 15 minutes later asking to purchase a game. I told her we couldn't b/c we had closed some time ago and the registers were already closed, yadda yadda yadda. She continues, I keep denying her...they don't seem to understand the first time BoL! Her kid, who looked about 9 started bawling. Tears are streaming down his cheeks, and his mother stands there with her arm around his shoulder staring at me as if "look what you did" I just continued counting and they eventually walked away. Dunno if that's really relevant or not, but I just had to tell it BOL
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 12:31pm PST 
We have a satellite so we can catch Ellen at different times of the day... so we watched at 3. Ellen is taking responsibility for what she did. She said several times "This is entirely my fault". She did say that the rescue came and took the dog away, but she also said "Because I didn't read everything I was supposed to." You can tell she is genuinely hurting over this and I feel bad for her. She is not saying the rescue hurt those kids, she is saying SHE hurt those kids.

The only thing I can hope she does do now is keep it off the tv and out of the media and talk to the rescue directly. Perhaps she can plead with them to give the family a chance.. arrange a home visit and an interview and let the rescue itself make the decision of whether or not this is a good family.
[notify]
Venninne

kisses, kisses,- kisses, kisses,- kisses!!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 12:40pm PST 
Kaiser, that is exactly what I was going to say so....................

DITTO
[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 12:44pm PST 
I don't really like Ellen, but I do agree with Kaiser... I think she feels regret and just wants the family to get the puppy back.

And at 11 or 12? Even if it was explained to me why the dog was taken, I WOULD still of been heart broken. I had a dog die when I was 12 and I cried 2 weeks straight. Just because you can explain what happened to the kids doesn't mean it's going to make it any easier...

Edited by author Tue Oct 16, '07 12:45pm PST

[notify]
Jason *ADOPTABLE*

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 12:45pm PST 
I'm with Kaiser.
People are saying horrible things about this rescue, and want it "shut down" without knowing the whole story.
This is going to give rescues a bad name.
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 1:28pm PST 
I missed it, but I wish I could see/hear it for myself.

The hairdresser could probably fill out an application and officially adopt Iggy once approved. At least, that's what seems logical.
Dink

Seriously, can I- get some food- here?

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 1:33pm PST 
Jasmine, go to yahoo.com, they have it posted on the home page.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 45: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]