GO!

The need to feed CHEAP! Pet peeve...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Luc

I love food...I- really LOVE food

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 4:32am PST 
I hear folks telling me all the time, I can't afford to feed my dog/cat the 'good' stuff when they hear what we feed (Innova, Orijen). Yet these people purchase lunch out 3-4 times a week, buy candles, tupperware, avon, (anything floating around the office at that particular moment), going shopping every weekend, vacations, movies, etc. It's all about priorities and in their case, their dog's/cat's food isn't one of them.

Of course, there ARE people in dire financial need who (because of job loss, etc.) need to find cheaper ways to feed themselves, their families and their animals - I'm not talking about those folks, just the ones who obviously can feed their dogs/cats better but won't.

I just don't understand...

shrug
[notify]
Delta

I love water!!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 5:23am PST 
it's all because many people don't care what they feed their doggies. I always say feed the best you can afford. Obviously these people can afford Orijen and Innova, but they don't want to. All I can say is do the best you can for your dog.
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 6:00am PST 
OK, I don't have any scientific proof for this. But I firmly believe that feeding the best food for your dogs (whatever that might be) will save you money on vet bills. So I think buying the cheapest food is a false saving in the long run.
[notify]

Kaya

All you need is- love :)

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 8:19am PST 
I'm a single school teacher that owns my house (moved an hour + away from work to be able to afford it - a different state actually) I haven't gone on a vacation in over 5 years... the clothes I do buy come from walmart and Kohls (they have great 70 - 80 % off sales!)... I haven't had a haircut in 2. I won't turn the AC on until I absolutely have to (I don't get paid June 15 - September 15) i drive a cheap car and not one piece of furniture in my house is purchased... all hand me downs from people who have died! I go out to eat about once every 2 months, unless my parents take me out and pay )I DO have a horse and a 110 mile round trip commute to work that alone in payments combines to owning a freaking porche) so I have very little extra spending money... but I choose this lifestyle, of course.. I AM NOT complaining...

I feed my dogs raw food (mostly) Because it really isn't that expensive in the scheme of things... when I did feed "cheap" I still looked for the best in it's $ class (kirkland) but still decided it wasn't good enough (Kaya still had alergies) So I budget shop for food (Walmart - I know they are evil, but I couldn't completely survive without hem) money for "personal spending each week @ $25 at BEST...."

So I hear ya! But that is just me smile
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 8:24am PST 
That irks me too...We are a family of 4 skin & 13 furry with the only income being my husbands who was a mechanic & then started driving company semi...I believe that we save money (on vet bills & food in the long run) by feeding quality feed to our animals.
I cut corners in other places but not on nutrition for my skin or fur kids.
[notify]
Delta

I love water!!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 9:15am PST 
I feed Delta Nature's Variety and while I would love to feed her strictly raw food right now there are two other dogs in the house and I would have to buy for all of them and my family really doesn't know how to do it and I'm in college. I would love to buy ZiwiPeak but right now $100 a month for dog food is too much for me. So Nature's Variety is the best food for Delta right now. I will be buying a small bag of Orijen for her to eat and a small bag of ZiwiPeak every now and then but I must say thanks to Nature's Variety delta's vet bills for allergies are none!! I was paying so much on vet bills when I first got her due to her allergies and after I switched they slowly went away. Now she does have seasonal allergies, but i can deal with that.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 9:31am PST 
Kaya,

Im sorry you don't get paid year round. Im also a school teacher, but we get paid year round (we work 187 days so we make so much per day X 187 days to equal salary/ 12 months = monthly pay check). So, we don't get any holiday pay or anything, but we do get paid while we are off. In our state, we don't have an option. That said, we are by no means wealthy, and we now have 21 4-legged between the cat sanctuary, the turtles, the recently inherited cattle, and Hershey and Harley. Harley has 9 food allergies and I have a food allergy which means groceries are no where near cheap. But, both the cats and dogs are on Solid Gold, the cattle eat mostly grass during the summer with feed supplements, and mostly feed during the winter, the turtles are easy...they get worms dug up from the yard. So, we don't go out much..no biggie...I cook better then most restaurants and when I cook, I know I will still be able to breathe after I eat.

It too irks me when I see people with the nice huge homes, lots of land, nice cars, and they feed Ole Roy.
[notify]
Delta

I love water!!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 9:32am PST 
you gotta admit ol' roy does taste good lol.
[notify]
Belle

Short legs, long- body, huge- heart.

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 9:52am PST 
i am a college student. luckily i have teenie weenie for a dog who eats hardly anything so 5 lbs. of food lasts us a couple of months. if i had a big dog, i would have to rethink and rechoose my food choices for her. i also have 3 cats who eat costco cat food because they do perfectly good on it. if i had more money i would switch them to a better food but that is not feasable at this time. between the bills and what little i spend on food for myself i try to squeeze in the best for my pets. this one lady was shopping at petsmart and was buying them all kinds of ridiculously over priced dog toys and was like oh now i have to go to wal mart to get some ol' roy. that's all my dogs will eat. i thought, they only eat that because that's all that's available to them.
[notify]
Luc

I love food...I- really LOVE food

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 10:16am PST 
I was actually referring to a coworker. I've kidded her about this and she laughs, but she doesn't 'get it'. I guess food just isn't that big a deal for her cats. Vet care is also only when there's a problem - not routine.

As for us... I'm employed, but husband has been laid off since Jan and just got a part-time job last Monday (2 weeks before unemployment runs out). What's sad is he's been looking everywhere - from Target, to Burger King, to Walgreens, etc. But, that's not important to this post.

We cut back on things so our dogs could be taken care of. I can't think of the last time I purchased clothes or got my graying hair colored, or bought more than one pair of shoes every year or two. My boss always tells me to do something for myself and not the dogs...but I can't. I'm obsessed I guess. I just love these little (well, big) fur children. To me, when you love someone (pet or human), you want the very best for them.

puppy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]