GO!

I need help or advice..anything...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Blue

I bark in the- face of- danger...

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 9:54am PST 
I'm very upset at the moment...Blue bit a man last night while the man was walking past our driveway. The man ended up going to the hospital to have the wounds on his hand checked out (no stitches that I know of) The health department and a police officer came to my house this morning and said that both dogs (Blue and Caleb) need to be quarantined for 10 days...I didnt understand this because they both have had all their shots and I had the papers to prove it, and Blue was the only one who bit the man, so I wasnt sure why Caleb also had to go...But anyway, I know that Blue is a slighty agressive dog, he doesnt like strangers or other dogs, I'm out of ideas on what to do with him, we've already taken him to a trainer for an 8 week school and that helped some, but then last night this biting incident happened...
We have a 10 month old son and our friends have mentioned that they hope Blue never turns on him (we never let them near each other unsupervised of course) My husband is overseas, so right now I am responsible for the dogs and I don't know if I will be able to handle keeping a dog who is known to bite, theres just too much on my plate right now for me to juggle and having an aggressive dog just adds to it. I love Blue, but his behavior has got to stop...I'm just out of ideas...unless anybody knows how to get in touch with Ceasar...I would really hate to see him have to be eunthinized...seriously stressed out...
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 10:11am PST 
I don't know why the other dog had to be quaranteed. Several years ago we had a cat that bit a man. (The man so very much deserved it. He was bitten while he was throwing my cat around by his tail). We voluntarily had him quaranteed at the vet after we learned of the incident. (the cat popped out a window screen and snuck out...another neighbor saw what happened and reported it to us). In our state, if the dog is not up to date on vaccinations, they have to be PTS and their head sent to the CDC for analysis....YIKES.

As far as training your dog. First, go to the vet and make sure there are not any medical conditions that could cause his aggression. If he is in pain, he will be more aggressive. Second, find an animal behavioralist (your vet should be able to tell you where there is one). A behavioralist is seperate from a trainer. Good Luck.
[notify]
Eve

Eve: aka Evil- Sidewinder

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 10:11am PST 
i'm so sorry this is happening to you frown

is this the first time Blue has bitten ?
why would they take Caleb ? is the man pressing charges or are they just investigating ......... i'll pray they are both returned to you but obviously Blue needs more help. hughug
is your husband in the military ? if so ..... any support system there for you? sorry i am more questions than anwers for you.
Just know that we're thinking of you & praying for Blue & Caleb.
hughughug
[notify]

Blue

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 11:02am PST 
Blue has bitten before, while he was at the kennel/dog training school, he bit a cop that worked there part-time, but nothing ever came of that....I'm really just at my wits end with all this...I guess I am waiting to hear from the guy bitten last night, I did offer to pay all of his medical expenses, I'm not sure what else I could have done, I just hope that he wont press charges or anything like that....
[notify]
Blue

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 11:06am PST 
Harley...
The vet said that Blue is in perfect health...so pain is not the cause of his aggression...I think it is mainly that Blue is from Iraq, born from a wild dog pack...he has a very high prey drive and is very protective, he doesnt trust anybody he doesnt know and besides Caleb, definitely doesnt like other dogs....
[notify]
Katie

I am the- Dreamsicle-you- may kiss my nose

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 11:30am PST 
Gee-I just read Blues story, he has been through so much in his life. You and your husband have really gone out on a limb to give him a better life. I have no advise help to offer (sorry) but will say you might want to post in the Behavior forum too. And I will be sending good thought to your whole family, hang in there. puppy
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 12:05pm PST 
You're profile doesn't say where you are located. I would definately say to do your best to find an animal behavioralist. They work more into fixing the problem then a trainer. If you are near, I know of one in New Orleans. If you have difficulty locating one, either a post in dogster or your vet should be able to help.
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 12:13pm PST 
Was Blue out loose or in a fenced yard? On a leash? Howl did he get to the man to bite him?

First step to preventing future bites is to make sure he is not out where he can get to those that irritate him to biting (strangers).

I'm not sure what to recommend in the way of training as we haven't had an agressive-biter in the family. I would suggest supervision around children (even your own) until you can work out his issues.

Smoke, no biting
[notify]
Zelda

Look at me,- touch me, LOVE- ME!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 1:20pm PST 
Even though I doubt it is fear aggression I agree with some of the other posters... you need to make sure he isn't in a situation where he can be aggrivated into biting. From what it sounds like he may never be a happy go lucky love-everyone and everything dog... not many are. But I understand how stressful a situation like this can be. I hate to see any dog put down for any reason (even though I do understand it's benifits in some situations) so my heart goes out to you. Just hang in there and try a behaviorist, if nothing else get him as much exercise as possible. It might sound like a wierd solution but the more tired he is the more sleeping and less gaurding he will be doing. I would also reccomend not keeping him in the front yard anymore. Zelda will growl at anyone who gets too close to the house so I would never leave her out front. In fact we never leave her anywhere unattended. Even for a second, unless she is safely inside with all doors locked and all windows closed enough so she can't jump out. I wish you all of the luck and even though it doesn't seem like it right now, everything will work out for the best in the long run. Parts of it might be hard to take but you love your dogs, your kids, and you are just trying to do what's right. So hang in there Blue and mommie.
[notify]
Blu

Can you hear me- NOW?

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '07 8:38am PST 
Have you had any luck with Blue? I just saw your post on your page and am sad to hear that story. Please let me know what happened.
[notify]