GO!

Redbone Coonhound - Training HELP!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ty

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 9:09am PST 
I just recently adopted a Redbone and need some training advice. So far I have taught him sit and down all in about 20 minutes. He is very eager to learn and picks up on things very quickly. But I continue to have problems teaching him 'quiet' and getting him to actually stop what he is doing when I say 'No'.

He gets EXTREMELY excited when he sees other dogs outside and howls as loud as he possibly can - which usually scares the other dogs. He has gotten a ton better with using a correction jerk on the choke collar and a reward for being quiet. But it is in the house that it is a problem. He howls loudly when he is alone in a room - even though there are family members sleeping in another room, he still howls if no one is in the room with him.

He will also howl if he wants to play with my doxie and she wants nothing to do with him. He tends to push the ticket with her and still has not learned that when she attacks him snarling and nipping he needs to back off - sometimes a stern NO will get his attention back to us but if he really wants to do something, he completely ignores us. HELP!!

Thanks in advance shrug
[notify]
Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 9:19am PST 
okay... here's maybe where the glitch is:

you said you taught him sit and down very quickly. You taught him what you want from him very fast. I want you to sit, and ah ha! I can get you to do it.

Now, you're having trouble teaching him what NOT to do. Its like working on your dog saying "I'm taeching him not to stand" for sit and down... the frame of mind can stop you.

You need to look for what to reward. Like with sit and down you reward the behavior... so that with quiet and "no".... kinda. Think what is "yes" and things are much easier to learn. So... with quiet, don't think "no bark" but reward for "yes, quiet" when your dog happens to be quiet at times. Say quiet when he is quiet and reward. And with no.... no is too fluid. For dogs its not exact enough, no what? no jump? no poop? no look? no bite? Try yes. Yes, sit. Yes, come. Yes, mouth closed.

Its all about frame of mind and finding the "yes'" in life.
[notify]
Tucker

My special- little guy

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 10:06am PST 
Hello, Ty.
First of all, I'll be honest with you. Hounds are stubborn dogs. As the proud owner of a beagle, I can tell you that stubbornness is deeply inbred with their personality. So, patience is a must when training a coon hound.

You sound a lot like Tucker, except for us, "down" took a lot longer (weeks, in fact). The situation you describe about seeing another dog while on leash, well, that's Tucker. He's not being aggressive, he's just doing what his breeding tells him to do. What I have learned to do is to use the command "leave it!" and a treat to keep him distracted. After many months of training, I can generally contain his baying at other dogs, but I haven't been able to stop him from doing it. It is useful when the other owner allows Tucker to touch noses with their dog. This generally gets Tucker quiet. This doesn't work for German shepherd dogs. I don't know why.

I've related the above to various other dog owners. Other beagle and/or hound owners relate similar stories. One person at the dog park told me that even Cesar "The Dog Whisperer" Milan says that we might as well just give up on training this out of the dog. Well, I still use the "leave it!" command and treat as distraction until such time that Tucker is old enough that he simply doesn't care anymore.

As for being left alone. Yep. Tucker HATES being left in a room by himself. When he's crated, he lies down quietly. But when he's on my bed, he howls. I'm training him by giving him a command of "see you later," and then I close the door for 30 seconds. Over the week, I've increased the time to 1 minute & then walk away. If he howls, I'll wait a little bit longer, open the door, and say "see you later" again. So far, it's been iffy as to whether or not he howls when he's left uncrated in a room by himself.

Hounds are loving & gentle dogs, and I definitely love my Tucker. But that doesn't mean that he can't drive me up the wall at times.

Good luck.
[notify]

Pixie Dust

Once You Beagle- You Never Go- Back

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 2:12pm PST 
XD That sounds like pixie!
Them hound dogs! lol Pixie gets so excitied when she sees other dogs she will howl away, again like tucker has said teaching leave it and treating is a great way to get them out of things. Though don't turn your back on em lol!
I taught leave it by having treats with me all the time and when ever she was into something that she wasn't supposed to I would say "Leave it" in a firm voice and have something yummy to put near her nose and lead her away from the thing and then let her eat it. It took a long about a month but shes got it now, she even understands stay. Beagles are hard dogs to train because they have to have a mind of there own and are very stubborn. There from the books I read one of the hardest to potty train. Leave it works well for everything but food! Beagles and there food!! They love it! lol
[notify]
Ty

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '07 7:14pm PST 
I agree, he just has a mind of his own! I will be working with a trainer once I return from my two week vacation. Hopefully we can get some pointers to add onto the obediance work I am already doing with him. Those dang stubborn hounds, but you just gotta love em'!! Hopefully he won't drive my parents too crazy while im gone since they graciously volunteered to watch him for me big grin
[notify]
Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 11:24am PST 
Hello, fellow Coonhound owner. We added a second Coonhound about 3-4 months ago, and we are similarly frustrated with training her. As the previous poster said, they are stubborn dogs and can push your patience to the limit. But I agree with trying to train positive rather than negative. Dora has learned sit very well, and sometimes even stay. But we are also struggling with "quiet" because she loves to bay. I've been meaning to solicit help from a neighbor or friend to walk up to the gate over and over, so we can practice "quiet" and treat. Maybe that would help with your Redbone?
[notify]
Lady Anne

Barked: Tue Feb 23, '10 10:11am PST 
This thread has helped me to try some new things with my Red Bone. She, as the breed is known for, very eager to learn and please. But she is also Very VERY stubborn! Because of her accident she was way behind on training but is doing a lot better. This issue of being quiet and not barking or whining every time someone is not with here has become progressively more frustrating. But we have been trying the typical "NO!" "NO BARK!" "HUSH!" "ENOUGH!" We will definitely start trying to reward her when she is quiet and trying this different approach!
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Tue Feb 23, '10 11:15am PST 
Gir used to bay when he was a puppy.

I would tell him to hush and pop a large marshmallow in his mouth. After a few repititions, he learned that when I said 'hush,' he wouldn't be able to bark anymore, but he would get to do something else- like eat a marshmallow. Once I had his attention, I could get him to do anything.

If you can put the baying on cue, you can also put hush on cue pretty easily.

One thing I will mention, though, is that as far as being alone goes, most hounds do NOT like it. Redbones are usually hunted in a brace or pack and are almost always kept in a pack. Being alone is not an easy thing for them.

Congratulations on the new hound. I love me some hound dogs...laugh out loud We need a straw hat emoticon.

I wouldn't use a choke collar correction to hush him, personally. You can't always be there to do it, you aren't always in reach of him, and if he figures out that when he's baying, if you get up and come toward him he gets a correction, then pretty quickly he'll learn that when he's baying, he should also be moving away from you, which will lay you open for a whole new set of problems.
[notify]