GO!

Doxie backs -- important information!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ginger - rest in- peace

Brave Heart

Barked: Thu May 3, '07 11:43pm PST 
I want to thank Zoe-Alexandria for posting the website www.dodgerslist.com. What a find! It is an incredible site for information and resources related to dachshund disc disease: understanding it, preventing it, treating it, support, links, ramps, etc. It is for new and veteran dachshund people.

Edited by author Thu May 3, '07 11:45pm PST

[notify]
Johanna

Do not pity me!

Barked: Fri May 4, '07 7:04pm PST 
Yes, it is a great place!
handicappedpets.com is also a great place for information on special needs pets, including dachshunds!
[notify]

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 6:37am PST 
My little doxie has hurt her back for the first time. As her mom I don't really know what to expect. We have a visit to the vet again on Tuesday May 15th in the morning. I need to know more--hopefully they will do x-rays. Up to this point she is taking a muscle relaxer twice a day and a pain med twice a day. She still shivers in pain anytime she has much movement at all. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHe is in her house-kennel most of the time to keep her quiet.....
[notify]

Hugo

Mr. Mischief

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 10:42am PST 
My dog is also having back problems. He's been crated except to go to the bathroom for 2 weeks+. He's now on prednisone which helped but once we started to taper he went back to acute pain. He'son muscle relaxers 2X a day, pain meds 2X a day and .25mg of Zanax to help as well when he has an 'acute' episode. That seems to help a bit as well. My vet recommended accupuncture which he's had once. Not sure if it helped but they are recommending 4 more sessions. So far we're about the same as we were 2 weeks ago when the vet started medicating him. At least one day a week is acute for him. Good luck- this is very heart wrenching for me so I'm sure you feel the same.
[notify]
Roxy

Roxy the Miracle- Doxie

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 10:15pm PST 
If possible, see a neurologist. General vets don't always have extensive experience with dachshund backs and surgeons almost always want to do surgery. There are different symptoms depending on where the disc problem is and what nerves are involved. Some dogs have a lot of pain. A dog with neck disc problems may cry whey it bends it's head to drink water. Or you may notice their hind quarters quivering when they stand. Some don't have any pain but have decreased use of their limbs. When Roxy "went down" she stumbled and seemed weak in her hind legs. I called the vet right away and the receptionist told me there wasn't an appointment for several days. I explained the situation and she gave me some stupid advice. Fortunately, I took Roxy in anyway (right away). My vet kept her overnight and gave her steroids. The next morning she couldn't stand at all on her hind legs and we got her into surgery right away. I was lucky. Early treatment saved her from paralysis. She wobbles a little but has full mobility. Your vet should check your dog's reflexes, response to pain, movement, etc. A myelogram is usually done if the symptoms are severe and surgery may be needed. Conservative treatment is crating plus steroids.

It is really important for you to watch your dog carefully for changes so that you can get treatment asap if needed. Time really is critical.
[notify]
Hugo

Mr. Mischief

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 8:54am PST 
Well after several months of agony and not being given the right advice by my vets my mom finally got fed up and took me to a neurosurgen. I was evaluated by UC Davis and they felt I was likely a candidate for the disc surgery. I was not paralyzed when I was taken in so I was kept for testing and once that was all complete they called my mom with a positive myelogram result. My disc had ruptured several times from what they believe and was bulging causing me intense pain. My surgery lasted 5.5 hrs and was intense from what I was told. They had to scrape calcified disc material off of my spinal cord and remove a hardened calcified disc at T12.

Today is 6 days post op and I'm not in pain anymore. I am getting better and better as each day goes by. My hind legs don't follow me when I try to walk(which is extremely limited and only happens when I go out to go potty 2/3 times a day with supervision). I do feel my hind legs and my parents are doing therapy with me so hopefully in time this will improve. I do have control of my bodily functions so that is a great sign.

If you are experiencing back pain and you are a doxie please go see a neurosurgen. The tales about them only wanting to do surgery is a lie. Surgery is not recommended by them at least at UC Davis in California unless the myelogram is positive and it is truely a requirement for you to have a better life.

Wish me continued success in my recovery!
[notify]
Roxy

Roxy the Miracle- Doxie

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 12:52pm PST 
I'm so glad you found the right doctor and wish you a full recovery. UC Davis is top notch and neurosurgeons and neurologists are the best to diagnose and treat a doxie back. Unfortunately, not all vets have a lot of experience with dachshunds. Maxi (gone to the bridge) had the misfortune to see a surgeon that was recommended by her regular vet. He did a myelogram and then surgery. The use of her legs was much worse after surgery. She later developed pancreatitis. The pain from the pancreatitis was mistaken for pain from back problems. Anyway, the quality of her life was severly compromised. Would things have gone diffrerently with a different vet or a different treatment? We'll never know. I needed emergency back surgery a few years ago and my vet referred me to a surgeon. This time everything went just right. Again, I'm glad you got to the right doctor at the right time.
[notify]
Nono

Handicapped pets- are worth the- effort!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '07 3:41pm PST 
My lil guy is currently parlayzed due to a ruptured disk in his back, and the best dog in the world. Another site that is very usefull and the best organnized site for doxies specificaly I have seen in the 2 years my boy has been paralyzed is http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/dachsieFAQ.html I strongly recommend takeing a look at this site if you have a doxie. Good luck to everyone!
[notify]
Ginger - rest in- peace

Brave Heart

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '07 4:57pm PST 
I was able to access the site by googling milner dachsie. Great site! I have started giving the dodgerslist flyer to people who adopt dachsies from the rescue group I work with. I am looking for ideas for a rescue picnic we're planning in October. I'm thinking about setting up a table dedicated to health information. Of course, it will be mainly about backs - prevention, treatment, ramps, carts, etc. Please post your thoughts.
[notify]
Nono

Handicapped pets- are worth the- effort!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 7:41am PST 
Thats Great!! I'm glad you enjoyed the site, it has a lot of the sites I found doing my own research but the great thing is it is all organized in one area. It is so hard to find some of this important stuff out there.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2