GO!

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Elmo

The Tail

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 4:19pm PST 
(sorry I'm completely blowing up this health board)

Anyone know anything about this? I was just diagnosed and my family wants to know more.
[notify]
Zoey

Better than I- was

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 4:22pm PST 
That make lots more sense, the white cells fighting with the red cells, okay. Don't people get this too? Let me check it out. Be right back. (blow up this forum as much as you need to) BOL
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 4:36pm PST 
Hi Elmo! Check out this thread from a little while back. I didn't even realize the difference in names until just now (though I have heard both), but I'm pretty sure that autoimmune hemolytic anemia and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia are the same thing (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).
[notify]

Zoey

Better than I- was

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 5:00pm PST 
So we checked out one place and they talked about the treatment being prednisone to begin with, and possiblity of transfusions. I think in the people variation, they can lose their spleen, but I guess they don't do that for dogs. What treatment are you on now?
[notify]
Abby

Dane Kisses & - Dane Hugs are- the Best

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 5:01pm PST 
Elmo
Hugs and Kisses buddy.. we'll be here to hold your paws Pal
Hope your Dr can fix this Problem and make you feel better soon
I found a web page for you Doll ask Mommy to go here
http://www.cloudnet.com/~jdickson/
[notify]
Elmo

The Tail

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 5:14pm PST 
Thanks for that link Abby! I hope I can be brave and strong like that pup!

Zoey-I don't know what treatment I'm on right now. I would imagine it's something like that. My mom found a website of a dog that lived with my condition and it explained the meds she was on after she got home. Sounds like I will be on alot of meds when I get home! But its ok, because Mom puts it in cheese, and I love cheese....mmmm cheese....
[notify]
Telly Lam

Never met a- lampost I- couldn't pee on

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 5:57pm PST 
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia is when your body's own immune system attacks its red blood cells. The red blood cells burst and you become anemic. Poor you! You'll have to be on medication for a long long time. Usually they start with prednisone (a potent immune suppressant), but sometimes if that doesn't work they put you on something else called azathioprine as well. Sometimes the immune attack can extend to other members of your blood system, namely your platelets, so your vet will have to poke you lots (for repeat blood samples) to check to see if your body is responding to the drugs and to make sure your platelets are okay. It's unusual in veterinary medicine to remove the spleen (unlike in human medicine - in people there is a specific condition called hypersplenism but that doesn't happen ind dogs, per se) to try to alleviate the anemia. They used to do that a long time ago, but I think in current practice they try to solve things medically (with drugs).

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Telly
[notify]
♥- ROXI- ♥

Devil- Dog

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 6:34pm PST 
ohh, elmo, i hope you will be o.k. puppy prayers coming your way!!!

licks and wags,
roxi and zoe
[notify]
Duke

I am not a watch- dog

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 8:16pm PST 
Oh Elmo, that really doesn't sound good, but I'm sure you can beat it. Ain't nothin gonna hold you down. At least they know what it is. We don't know anything about it but if the vet tells you to do it you do it. The pack here is praying for you and that includes kitties.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 8:41pm PST 
Oh sure, make me dig out my textbooks again big grin

(The Merck Veterinary Manual 8th ed. Published by Merial in 1998.)

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) has four basic forms:

1) Peracute AIHA = seen in middle aged, large breed dogs. Initial unresponsive decrease in red blood cell leves. Usually responds to treatment after 3-5 days. Usually treated with heparin and glucocorticoids.

2) Acute AIHA = most common form with a breed predilection in Cocker Spaniels. Initial signs are pallor and fatigue. Generally a good response to glucocorticoids, possibly followed by cytotoxic drugs if little response after 7-10 days.

3) Chronic AIHA = differs from acute in that red cell count falls to a baseline and stays there for weeks or months. More common in cats than in dogs. Usually responds well to treatment in initial stages, with response dropping as the condition progresses. Again, initially treated with glucocorticoids, followed by cytotoxic drugs after ~2 weeks.

4) A variant of AIHA is Pure red cell aplasia. It is most common in dogs and comes in 2 forms: postweaning to adolescent dogs and adult dogs. Treatment is the same as for Chronic AIHA.

Causes of AIHA can be precipated by drugs, vaccines, or infections, but most triggers remain unknown. Most forms are treatable, and once treated, relapses are uncommon.

So prognosis sounds pretty good. You will need to be on medication for quite some time, I would imagine. But you can fight through this and be just fine!! Get better soon big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3