GO!

Help for Puppymill Rescue

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Archie

Archito Burrito

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 12:38pm PST 
Hi, We are fostering our first foster dog. She is a small Jack Russell rescued from an Ohio Amish puppymill.
I would like to hear from other people who have worked with puppymill rescues before.
Gracie is a very sweet little girl, and she just breaks my heart. She is so small, so skinny. She is so frightened. Given the chance she will hide in a corner and shake. She is okay being held for a short time, and usually likes it if you cover her with a blanket. She can barely walk.
Does anyone have any tips for drawing her out, making her trust people? I want to do anything I can to help her gain a new life.
When I see this poor creature huddled into the corner I can only wish people saw where pet store puppies come from.
Any help and insight is greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 12:42pm PST 
Oh what a wonderful thing you are doing. I know there are lots of puppy mill rescued dogs on here so I hope someone can help you. What gruesome places they are and what terrible things they do to sweethearts like Gracie must be absolutely appalling. I am sure though that with the love you are showing her she will slowly but surely come to realise that you are giving her love and kindness.
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 1:24pm PST 
oh man... good for your rescuing that poor puppy mill dog. I know, people are evil.. Im dealin with that first hand right now. I just recommend being easy with her... very soft and quiet.... and comforting to her. Dont force her to do anything. If she does something good on her own reward her... but dont force her. She is probably petrified... and has no idea whats happened to her. She has never known human affection or touch, so you holding her right now might be very scary for her. I would try sitting on the floor with a blanket and see if she comes to you. Also a good thing would like sit on the floor and have a big plate of canned dog food next to you... so she starts to associate people with good things... thats what you want to do... let her realize people are ok... not always mean... and cold. Good luck! And God bless you for saving that pup!!
[notify]

Ender

I love to dig in- bowls of water!

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 4:35pm PST 
You are wonderful for saving her! She's going to need time. And love. And treats. And time. Just let her come out of her shell, give her treats and love when she will let you, but don't smother her. Give her lots O treats -healthy ones. smile Mostly, enjoy. She'll come around.
[notify]
Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 4:40pm PST 
I agree with everyone else. TIME is an amazing thing! Just be real sweet to her, and soon enough she will come out of her shell!
[notify]