GO!

10 week old puppy home alone all day

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Sammy

I love and miss- you Dutchess

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 6:18am PST 
This is Sammy's mom talking....

My sister just got a Shetland Sheep Dog last week. He's now 10 weeks old. Since it's the summer, these past two weeks, he's had someone home with him all day.

When school starts next week, the family starts their regular routine. My nephew starts school and my sister leaves for work at 8:30 and won't get home until 3:00. Sometimes her husband goes to work at 4:00 which is good, but most of the time he works day hours.

I'm very concerend about their puppy. He's not fully potty trained yet, and he's not used to being left alone all day. I don't know if he can hold it in that long, let alone, I think he'll be really upset being left alone for so many hours.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this? My sister thought about working less hours, but of course that means less money, so I'm not sure if she would actually end up doing that.

Do you think the puppy will be okay? Should she get a large crate and put papers in it for him to go, or will this ruin his potty training? Not to mention that he won't have water in his crate because if he did, then for sure he'd never be able to hold it.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
[notify]
Boomer

Good Boy

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 6:36am PST 
Could someone go and let the puppy out in the middle of the day for a few minutes for the next few weeks until the puppy is a little older. Also at 10 weeks of age I'd have thought the puppy would still be on 4 meals a day for the next few weeks.
[notify]
Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 6:42am PST 
Honestly, if he is only 10 weeks, it's completely crazy to even assume that he would be able to hold it all day. There is no way, and they shouldn't even ask or expect that of him. I wouldn't keep him in a crate to be left to sit in his pee/poop all day. Mabye a big one like you said where there is a spot for wee-wee pads...

Leaving him home for all that time isn't going to help him get potty trained anyway, there is no way a 10 week old puppy is going to be able to hold it all day like that.

I hate the idea of a baby being home all day like that at such a young age anyway, but to each their own.
[notify]

~**Himz Levi**~

I'M- FLYYYYYYING!!

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 6:52am PST 
NOO! Puppies can only hold their potty for maybe two hours!

A crate is a great idea. BUT! You will want to get a crate that is very small, only enough room for the puppy to stand up, and turn around in. Leave the door to the crate open, put a small towel or cloth that smells like the owner for bedding. Surrounding the crate, they should build a small kennel like area. Big enough to fit the crate, and lay down lots of newspaper.
If you get a puppy a huge crate, it will potty in it..dogs will not potty in their "den" (or crate) if there isnt any room. (i hope that makes sense). So, if you had a large crate, the puppy will potty on the bedding, and push the bedding aside and sleep on the other side. If you have a small crate, it will not. Or try its hardest not too. But they will need to make an area for potty and puppy not get scolded for it.
Would they be able to build a small, secure, fenced in area..say..about 5ft x5ft outside?
10 weeks old is very young to expect it to not have an accident.
This MAY NOT work for you but its what Ive been taught over and over. I hope I explained it well. You could Google "crate training" and they explain it much better!
I wish you allllll the luck (and the puppy, and the owners)
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 6:53am PST 
I hate the idea of him being left all day on his own too. That is just such a lonely existence for a little one and to expect him to hold it all day - not a chance. And no, please do not shut the pup away for 10 hours a day in a crate. When we got Rosie I was off work for a week and for the first two weeks I came home at lunchtimes to check on her. She took to pee pad training pretty quickly too so that wasn't a problem. She was never alone either, she had the other furbabies for company. My husband back then was getting home around 3pm ever. After that we were only ever out for 8 hours a day maximum.
[notify]
Mariya- 5-14-2003 to- 5-7-2014

Queen of the- Fireflies!

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 7:07am PST 
I definately think she should hire a dog walker, I myself was one part time for many years as I had another job, and charged $10 an hour, to go to the house take the puppy out to go potty, then I fed if the owner had it in the instructions, and play, then just before I go I take the pup for one more potty break. I tell the owner when I think the puppy is ready to be left alone, it's usually before the time line the owner has set. They usually hired me for at least 6 months, to go everyday, I chose the time, cuz I like to make it so it's equal time between when the last person leaves the house in the morning to when the first person will get home, then I go fo an hour in the middle. I worked a split shift as a daycare director for my other job.
[notify]
Sammy

I love and miss- you Dutchess

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 7:08am PST 
Boy, this is just so frustrating. He's not even my dog, and I'm so upset about this. He's so sweet, and I just hate the thought of him feeling abandoned all day.

I know he can't hold it for that long, and I just thought that if he goes in his crate, it will ruin the whole potty training thing. Since he won't want to go where he sleeps, he'll be so uncomfortable, until he just can't hold it any longer and he'll eventually go. Then he'll be upset to have to sit in it, in such a small crate after he's gone!
[notify]
♥Osit- a♥

¡Me encanta mi- mamá!

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 7:18am PST 
I acutally was just in a very similar situation with Osita, so I'll let you know what I did. I was home with Osita during the day for about a week after we got her. I work during the day and so does my boyfriend, and I also go to school full time so we had to come up with a solution for our little girl. Osita is doing very well with potty training with an occasional accident. She sleeps in her crate all night every night without ANY accidents, EVER.

Despite this, I didn't want to put her in her crate during the day because I know that she won't be able to hold it, so instead I put up a gate to keep her in the kitchen during the day with ample food and water (as poms often have issues with hypoglycemia as puppies, she needs to have constant access to food for a couple more weeks). Her crate is also in the kitchen with its door open, and plenty of toys inside. I also placed a wee wee pad in the kitchen, and sometimes she goes on it, sometimes she doesn't. (She tries smile ) I have a six hour break from school on Monday and Wednesday, so she's only alone from 6:45-9:00 and from 2:30-4:30. On Tuesday Thursday, and Friday, my boyfriend comes home on his lunch to let her outside, so she's only alone from 6:45-11:00ish and from 12-3. So therefore, there's really only 3 days where she's by herself for the majority of the day.

This works for us. She's having progressively fewer accidents, and she has our kitty to keep her company and she's not destructive or yappy. I was really concerned about leaving her alone when I got her, so I made sure that she wouldn't be alone for more than 4 hours at a time.

It is definitely NOT okay to put your puppy in a crate for 10 hours a day. You have to make sure your puppy feels safe in its crate before you leave it in there (which means introducing it slowly, not just throwing them in), and if he's crated at night, it's not a good idea to crate them all day because it's just too much time closed up in there. That's why I went with the gate - she can run around and play but she's confined to an area I can easily clean.

My advice: try to get someone that can come home at some point and let the puppy outside, and make sure that your crating schedule isn't excessive. If you've going to have him in there all day, make sure he's not crated at night, or vice versa.

Hope this helps!
- Osita's mama
[notify]
Charlie

Wild Child

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 8:22am PST 
I do the same thing as Osita's Mommy, I have always done it with Maverick and Goose. They stay in the bathroom all day, with a bowl of water, food, plenty of toys, a kennel, blankets and a potty pad for Charlie. I used to put a gate up, but Maverick can climb it and Goose can jump it, so I now close the door. I think I worry more about doing this, than they do. They are very happy like this. Both Maverick and Goose can hold it all day, but they like to get into stuff, so I don't leave them out alone. (they sometimes mess with electrical cords, love to shred paper like all poms, ect...) So for their saftey I stick to the bathroom. It is a huge bathroom, so there is plenty of room for them. I work 8 hours every day, but I try to come home at lunch when possible. However I usually don't make it home and they are fine. They are usually home from 7:30-5:15. I know some people would have a problem with this, but I am a single parent and have to work. I do what is best for my dogs and they are quite happy and loved. I would love to stay home with them all day, but it is not possible. I would be worried too, it doesn't sound like there are any plans in place for the puppy when everyone goes back to work/school.
[notify]
Annabelle

I Hope You- Dance....

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 9:12am PST 
I do hope they'll remember (or maybe you can remind them) that regardless of what they do (and I certainly pray it's not in a crate all day), the puppy WILL be teething, and expect things to be chewed on.
However, if they leave it alone, they certainly don't want to leave chew toys in with it, in case of choking. What a dilemma!

Although Rex & Annabelle were RARELY alone for maybe a couple of hours during the day (their dear, sweet Nana who lives right next door sat with them until I could get home from work), they did manage to chew up the house in the laundry room and adjacent small hallway where I had the baby gate. We only THOUGHT it was baby proof! We were horrified to see the wood trim chewed on, as well as a hole in the wall, along with ripped linoleum flooring! All from two tiny chihuahuas!

Luckily, they did NOT ingest any of this stuff because we found the exact matching chunks, but we never dreamed they would chew on the wall or floor! Of course, they had chew toys to help with teething, and were supervised with them.

And Annabelle eventually learned how to climb OVER the baby gate!
I repeatedly accused my husband and our son of feeling sorry for them and letting her out, until one day I saw her scale the gate like a seasoned pro!

We are truly NOT trying to make you feel worse, we just wish they could have someone that they trust implicitly to come and sit with the puppy, especially at this crucial stage in its life. Even if it's part-time, at least the puppy could (maybe) learn to potty outside, and wouldn't develop bad separation anxiety, which I think is an issue in itself.

Let us know how this works out, we're rooting for you all!

Edited by author Tue Aug 29, '06 9:16am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5