Peeing on belly

Rufus II

Rufus doozicon- the destroyer

Barked: Tue Jun 27, '06 7:10pm PST 
Hi. I don't know if this is something male Iggies grow out of. Rufus is 9 months old and usually lifts his leg at the park when he pees but most of the time- especially when he's at home- he squats down to pee. He usually ends up going all over his front legs and on his chest. Is this something that male Iggies grow out of? I hate resorting to using wet wipes or towels to clean him off all the time but I want to keep my furniture from smelling too fowl. Does anyone share this experience and can offer advice or what to expect?
Dante

Dante.....Some- call me killer!- :-)

Barked: Sat Jul 1, '06 8:14pm PST 
Dante does the same thing!! He's yet to ever lift his leg. But he's only 6 months so I don't know if it's something they ever stop doing!
Dario

Italian Stallion

Barked: Tue Jul 18, '06 1:27pm PST 
Dario is 5 months old, and he squats too.. He has never once lifted his leg. But he has also never gotten any on him, so I'm not sure what to expect! A leg lifting or a pee-belly?? haha

Lucques

stuffed monkeys.- beware. [;

Barked: Mon Aug 21, '06 7:13pm PST 
Well Gabriel & Lucques are 1 yr & 9 months & well it still happens. They lift thier leg when they want to but most of the time they squat and still get some on their front legs & bellys.
Lucques

stuffed monkeys.- beware. [;

Barked: Mon Aug 21, '06 7:15pm PST 
Well Gabriel & Lucques are 1 yr & 9 months & well it still happens. They lift thier leg when they want to but most of the time they squat and still get some on their front legs & bellys.
Charli

Charli Boy

Barked: Sat Aug 26, '06 4:29am PST 
Charli is just over 3 years old and always seems to pee on his front legs without fail, he does lift his leg and squat. I just have baby wipes handy and wipe him off and bath him when he gets smelly.
Spirit

You know you- want to hold me

Barked: Thu Nov 2, '06 1:25pm PST 
I got my IG when he was five months old. He sometimes gets his paws, but not often. He also rarely lifts his leg but he is also fixed so I don't know if that helps anything. Maybe you can stop him while he is in the process and try to reposition him. Maybe he can learn.
Monty

Vicious- sighthound!

Barked: Sat Dec 23, '06 8:03pm PST 
The iggy we're fostering will sometimes lift his leg but usually he does a sort of modified squat--not exactly like a girl dog, but kind of leaning into the ground. He also declines to mark as frequently as Monty and Livy, usually only peeing once on a walk (if he needs to; sometimes T won't pee at all.) Lately, however, he's been lifting his leg a *little* more often and marking a *little* bit more than usual. He doesn't really hit his belly, though.

T is 5 years old (well, he will be--his birthday is in five days) and was neutered as a puppy. He was raised around full-size Greys, mostly female (I think.) He has some "issues" (a little anxiety &c) but for the most part he's pure, loveable iggy. I don't know why he pees the way he does. I only know it's kind of cute.

(Monty and Livy are lean, mean, peeing machines. They pee on EVERYTHING when we take them out, probably because there are so many other dogs in our apartment complex and our boys have to "one up" the other pups pretty frequently. They're committed leg-lifters. Monty was also neutered as a young dog, and he's about two years old. Livy wasn't neutered until recently, and he's middle-aged--just a little older than T.)

So...to answer your question...I don't know!
Fanucci

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 3:44pm PST 
Fanucci did that at first but he grew out of it sometime around 1.5-2 years old. He didn't start leg lifting until he started going to the dog park frequently (he was an only dog at first, so my theory is that he had to see it to learn).