GO!

Wolf Hybrids

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Fri May 19, '06 12:34pm PST 
I feel kind of ignorant asking this but I'm going to ask anyways...

Are wolf hybrids as social as domestic dogs? We met a wolf hybrid today that was sooooo pretty and she really wanted to play with me but was on the other side of the fence. However, if I were to play with her, would it be safe? Or do hybrids have a different temperment? I feel dumb asking that question but I really just don't know. She seemed super friendly, and her mom has been socializing her by going to dog parks and stuff, so I think she's being raised to be a socialiable dog. Just wondering if I should be careful or if I should just expect the same thing that I would expect from a full dog.
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Fri May 19, '06 12:50pm PST 
I really think that it depends on the dog/hybrid.

We know a Malamute/Wolf hybrid, and he is the sweetest and most gorgeous dog we've ever seen. So nice with every dog and human that he comes into contact with.

I don't think that is the case with all hybrids though. We've heard some horror stories of hybrids. Just like dogs. Depends on their up-bringing and early socialization.
[notify]
Mutts

Duh

Barked: Fri May 19, '06 12:56pm PST 
I would be carefull some hybrids can be a bit dangerous Ive herd some horror storys about hybrids
[notify]

Nuka

There is no- better dog than- Nuka!

Barked: Fri May 19, '06 2:50pm PST 
Speaking from statistics, you want to stay cautious of a hybrid...they are all very different, as all dogs are, BUT, the wolf is not domesticated, thereby making certain tendencies in the dog highly unpredictable...There are some very sweet hybrids out there, and they are beautiful, but their gene makeup is very difficult, and each one is made unique...even good ones can react in a very surprising way...I wouldn't trust a little dog to play with one...admire it from the fence, talk to it and be freinds from a distance, that way there are no regrets
[notify]
River

A home is not a- home without- fur.

Barked: Fri May 19, '06 3:33pm PST 
We use to live next door to a wolf hybred - don't know what the other breed was this dog looked like a wolf. His parents kept him in a fenced backyard and didn't socialize him at all.

When he reached about 2 years old he begin acting out, jumping their 6 foot fence and chasing people. No barking and no biting but scaring some neighbors to death. One day the bus let out and wolf dog had gotten loose, he chased a young boy and jumped on his back and pushed him down. The dog started ripping at his back pack, he had food in it. Luckily neighbors saw this and chased him away and called the cops. The final straw was the people who bought my house had a little dog and tied it up outside. The Hybred got loose and killed it. I felt so bad becasue they only lived there for two weeks when this happened. Needless to say they gave him to reserve in Colorado. I think they are very unpredictable and I wouldn't trust one.
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Fri May 19, '06 6:25pm PST 
My mommy used to think that I was maybe a wolf hybrid. But I never got very big, so now she thinks maybe I'm part coyote. But only I know the truth! BOL!

Anyway, my mom says that she doesn't know much about wolf hybrids in particular except that they can be, obviously, hard to train (another reason she thinks I'm part wolf! BOL).

My mommy is wondering, though, if perhaps wolf hybrids could be very "social" (whatever that really means) since wolves live in packs. In other words, maybe it's more natural for a wolf to be around and interact with other dogs than, say, a Pomeranian. Their social behavior, however, may be different that what we're used to seeing at the dog park. Don't know, just wondering.

Maybe they just see really little dogs as prey?
[notify]
Fargo

I am not a- dog..I am a- Coyote..Ah-Whoo!

Barked: Fri May 19, '06 7:40pm PST 
People mistake me for a coyote all the time, which seems silly because I only slightly resemble one. But, yes, caution should be taken with Wolf Hybrids just as with any new dog you encounter, especially if you have your dog with you. Mom has trained a Wolf/Akita hybrid and he turned out great. But they can be unpredictable because of their wild instincts. I hope that this up and coming popular "breed" will not undergo the same unnecessary discriminations as the other deemed "dangerous" breeds. I am so incredibly exhausted on this debate. Any dog can be a Canine Good Citizen, meaning they can live peacefully in today's society.
[notify]
Angel

If it moves, I- will watch- it....

Barked: Sat May 20, '06 1:23am PST 
Being part wolf myself I feel I must bark on this topic.
I am very gentle, and MUST watch everything. I do not like to be touched by non-pack members, and sometimes I do not want to be touched by Daddy and The Woman. I am very very small dog friendly, matter of fact my "brother" is a mini doxi, we grew up together. I enjoy playing with little dogs, and am very gentle with them. I can get ruff, but NEVER with someone smaller than me.

People are scared of me on sight. They do not give me a chance to smell them, which is all I really want to do. Most people just do not understand me.

My bad points are that I have a strong prey drive, but am well trained to DROP. I am also a very good thief, so if you leave it outside, I will chew it up. Thankfully the few people that live in our rural area know me and understand this! Also, I do not understand small humans! They smell funny and have sticky hands, and move WAY to quick to suit me! Sense I am tall enough to reach the stove and kitchen sink and will help myself and pack members to any treats I can reach, so what if it happens to be tonights dinner!

I suggest that if you want to play with the wolf mix check each other out thru the fence, and have thier people there (of course)! Find out about the dog first, just like you would a play mate for your human....after all we are all someone's baby!

Thanx for listening, I will get off my soap box now...
Angel
[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Sun May 21, '06 2:04am PST 
A lot depends on the percentage of wolf in the dog as well. Takiah`s grandfather was a timber wolf, so she is a low percentage. After being involved in rescue and better educated I do not at all support wolf to dog breeding. Many of the dogs may turn out okay, but they can be unpredictable, and are responsible for many attacks (they are often mistaken for mals and sibes as well giving them a bad rep). Wolves are social, in the same way as dogs, but they have some tendancies to have a strong prey drive, be difficult to contain, and need a lot of excercise and socialization. Most of the people in wolf dog rescue don`t have yards, but rather `enclosures` for the dogs. They need a lot of room and special fencing so they can`t escape. Some of them are good with people, some of them are shy or aggressive. I wouldn`t want to take the chance with a high % hydrid.

As far as getting along with other dogs, it depends on the individual, but they do tend to be predatory. If they are mixed with a dog aggressive breed like a malamute it can be a bad combo. It doesn`t make them mean dogs necessarily (for example, Takiah will hunt animals, but in no way is she human aggressive, she loves everyone!), they just may not be good around other animals. I would be cautious with a small dog around a wolf hybrid, however if the owner seems okay with it then they could be perfectly safe!!
[notify]
Elliot

I am larger than- life, no really- I AM

Barked: Sun May 21, '06 7:09am PST 
I do not belive i n breeding hybrids. Ever. The epopele that do decide to get such an animal should be doind a whole lot of research. Though dogs and wolfs are related they are very diffrent. If you are a good dog person you aren't auutomatically a good wolf person. To me only very responsible people with a whole lot of room should keep a hybrid. Of course there are those that live just like regular dogs and can live 'normal' but you never know what you get. For more info you can check out this page.
http://www.wolfpark.org/
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3