GO!

Adoption "Donations and/or Fees"

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:00pm PST 
The mama looked into adopting me a new brother or sister. But she changed her mind, more than once, because of the outrageous "donations" that were required. Believe you me, she knows the expense that comes along with being a responsible pet owner, but I think this practice is detrimental for our fellow pups in desperate need of good homes.
Any thoughts? Is this practice legal?
The mama knows costs are incurred as some pups are sick, underfed, etc., but if a human is willing to take the risk of adopting a pet with an unknown past, why should they pay a "donation" that is at times as high as buying a brand new pup with a "clean slate"?
[notify]
Jericho

spay and neuter- your pets NO- EXCUSES

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:06pm PST 
What exactly is your definition of an outrageous donation/fee etc??

Most rescues/adoption centers are run completely on donations. It's not cheap to take animals in, fix them up(vaccinate, spay/neuter, microchip, other vet care etc) and home them until they find homes.
Most of the adoption fees and donations are minimal considering what you're getting, and more importantly you're saving a life and supporting a wonderful cause(rescue).

Edited by author Thu May 11, '06 6:08pm PST

[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:07pm PST 
$ 300.00 seems to be a common donation. If a pair is to be adopted together, will not be separated, it's $600.00 for both.
[notify]

Jericho

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:09pm PST 
Okay, that seems like an awful lot of money. What all does it include?
[notify]
Jericho

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:12pm PST 
It's kind of upsetting though to think some people would be turned off at that because you can buy a backyard breeder product for that much. sigh.
I agree that it needs to be reasonable, or people will turn away. Then it goes back to square one- dogs still need homes, and people then turn to other sources to aquire a dog when they could be homing a wonderful loving companion.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:13pm PST 
Just the dog. Some require that you spay/neuter if it's not already. I would hope shots are included.

Edited by author Thu May 11, '06 6:18pm PST

[notify]
Jericho

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:20pm PST 
Wow, that is a little upsetting especially if they haven't really put any money into the dog to begin with. Obviously it costs a good amount to home the dog until the proper home is found...
It is upsetting to me though, especially since most rescues and shleters I've encountered have not had such a price on adoption. If they do(I haven't seen more than 200$ tops) it will alwyas include fixing the animal if it isn't already, all vaccinations, microchipping etc.
I adopted my most recent dog from the SPCA for about $45! It included everything such as vaccinations etc. It would have included more but since I work in the vet field I opted to neuter him at work and microchip him when I got home from picking him up. They even offered to pay for anything that occured within a 10 day period(meds, vet visits etc that deemed the dog got a virus, infection from the shelter etc). Best decision I ever made, and one of the best dogs I've ever had the pleasure of sharing my life withwink
I would seek out other rescues/shelters that offer a reasonable fee and include everything! PLEASE Don't let this discourage you from rescuing and saving lives. Sounds like you've found an exception to that rule. There are way too many other good rescues out there. Good luck!

Edited by author Thu May 11, '06 6:23pm PST

[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:28pm PST 
shelters are a wonderful thing, I've adopted a dog in the past and she was the most amazing animal /compaion I've ever had, she pasted away a few years ago. I just think that if a family cant afford the 300. or what ever it is doesnt mean that they should be turned away or that they cant give them a great life
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 6:38pm PST 
Ok, let me share a couple of my recent experiences . The higher priced fees seem to be from people listing "adoptions" of dogs in "foster homes". There are a few right here on this website, no names will be mentioned.
Maybe you can clarify the differences between "foster homes" and regular adoptions. Or is this a way for people to sell dogs on Dogster and get around the rule of not selling on the site? I've called "breed" rescues and have gotten the same high fees.
[notify]
mozart- 10/02-10/04

time for a walk

Barked: Thu May 11, '06 7:30pm PST 
i was just adopted by my new family. my fee was $300.00. that covered aneuter surgery, shots, rabies, kennel cough vaccine, microchip, 1 month free pet insurance. i was sat my rescue for 2 weeks. i eat 2 times a day 4 cups of food at a time. i was put in flea, tick and heartworm preventative. i lived in a house instead of a kennel. the nice lady at the rescue group is available anytime my new mommy had a question about me. she is also very educated on living with saints. she helped my mommy understand the health problems i may run into later in life. i was temperment tested. the rescue lady taught my mommy the best ways to handle me as i am a big boy. she also made sure that my mommy and daddy were absolutely 100% sure they wanted a saint bernard to love and to love them back. lastly if for any reason whatsoever, if i didn't work out i could be returned for a full refund. my mommy and daddy can not speak highly enough of the saint benard rescue of upstate ny.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10