GO!

No vaccines???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Thomas- Pickles

Who, me?

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 1:32pm PST 
I have been researching a more holistic approach to my dogs health care, and came upon some articles that say that dogs should not be vaccinated.....at all, ever. They say vaccines do much more harm than good, contributing to allergies, skin disorders, thyroid disorders, even cancer! I just can't see completely stopping vaccines! We have it drilled into our heads that dogs NEED vaccines and we are not good parents if we deprive them of this. I discussed this with my vet who practices both traditional medicine and holistic and even she said she believes in vaccines. So what am I supposed to believe? Do I risk my dogs health by stopping vaccines altogether, or am I risking their health right now by having them vaccinated? I just want to do what's best for them!
[notify]
Sophie P.- Frecklebotto- m, NPC

Vroom, vroom!

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 1:39pm PST 
If the dog has already been vaccinated, you can have titers run instead of automatically getting booster shots every year. A titer is a blood test that will tell you if the dog is still immune to a specific disease.

Humans get vaccines like the flu shot every year, because the flu mutates and changes every year. It is a different shot every time.

There are other vaccines that we can get one time (or for one series) and never need again, like Hepatitis B or chicken pox or measles. Those diseases remain the same. Immunity is immunity.

Personally, I will give my doggies the recommended puppy shots, then have titers run to see when, and if, anything else needs to be done. It is a very personal decision, and there will be laws in different parts of the world that affect what you do. Rabies is likely not a choice. The others may be.

Good luck!
[notify]
Thomas- Pickles

Who, me?

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 1:42pm PST 
Right, forgot to mention rabies. That, by law, has to happen.
[notify]

Dot (Has A- New Home)

THE DOTNESS- MONSTER

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 2:04pm PST 
The cool thing that has come out in just the past couple years is that the Rabies vaccine can be a one year or three year rabies, if allowed by state law. Here in Indiana, it's a dream come true for people who have animals who get three year rabies shots. Another thing is that over recent years, Phizer and other pharmacies have come across that most vaccines like distemper/parvo can last longer than a year after a dog has been vaccinated for at least 3 or 4 years.

My clinic offers a one year rabies for owners like me who want to keep their dog up to date and not risk it, and offers three year rabies to anyone who wants them. After a dog turns 4, it will get a distemper that year, and then for the next two or three years will not unless it is at high risk (dog parks, boarding facilities, etc). Ask your vet!

Howvere, I am not familiar with holistic techniques and such.....I will have to research on that. smile

~Dot's mom
[notify]
Sammy

I love and miss- you Dutchess

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 5:15pm PST 
I totally feel the same way you do. I guess shots are a necessary evil. I'd hate to think I'm doing harm to Sammy by having him get shots, but if he should ever get rabies, then it's a death sentance. I read a story about a dog that had distemper and it was so horrible. I just can't bring myself to take the chance. I wish there was an alternative way that was guaranteed to protect them from these things but without the side effects.
[notify]
Bellus

aka Belle Brusky

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 7:42pm PST 
I think this website has a good presentation of the evidence that exists regarding how often to vacc. http://www.critteradvocacy.org
Most of my family was vacced. with puppy shots and then one year later and that was it. A couple of us were vacced. more and my Mom is now sorry that she did so.
Belle Brusky
[notify]
Thomas- Pickles

Who, me?

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 8:30pm PST 
Thanks Bellus. I'll check that out when I have a moment.
I guess you're right Sammy. There are risks associated with everything.
[notify]
Domi (In- Loving- Memory)

Whatta mean No?

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 8:38pm PST 
When Domi was just a pup... almost 4 months old... he got Parvo and almost died.
After that experience, I am very much FOR vaccinations.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 8:38pm PST 
I guess the choice is really up to you... but to me, when I see contradicting statements between veternary and holistic treatment, I pick the one that more people follow, and thus the veternary treatment.
[notify]
Tracker CGC

She has 2- speeds, full- speed and- faster.

Barked: Sun May 7, '06 11:16pm PST 
I look at it this way.
Vaccines are for the most part, to protect againest an outbreak.
Also vaccines are not just to protect your pet but to protect other peoples dogs as well. As more and more years go by with less and less animals contracting specific illnesses, those illnesses will hopefully die out in certain areas. Just like human illnesses like polio.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5