GO!

grooming

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 8:59pm PST 
Hi I have asked this on other forums but I figured here would be the best place. When I brush Mika she loves when I brush the whole front half of her body but when i get to her back end she doesn't want to let me continue and she often whines. Im wondering if maybe she just doesn't like her back end being touched or hopefully there is no health issues, i know Huskies can be prone to hip dysplacia and sore? Ive also wondered if maybe her skin is irritated like a hot spots or something? I have tried to look at her skin under her fur but it's hard to tell anything because of her thick double coat. Has anyone else had this issue with grooming the back end and/or any ideas what may be going on?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 7:46pm PST 
A lot of dogs have issues with certain body parts being touched, just like humans. For example, for me, I can't stand having my stomach touched, or the bottoms of my feet, and only people I trust can touch my neck. So it's not necessarily indicative of pain, although it can be.

Typically if a dog has displaysia so bad that they yelp over touch, they will also limp or have a generally poor gate. The only way to know for sure, though, is to do x-rays. You could speak with your vet about whether this is a good idea - often when there is minimal pain, the exposure to radiation is not worth the knowledge gained.

Tick-borne diseases and early onset arthritis can also cause similar symptoms.

Dogs can also retain the memory of pain. Ember acts as you've described for brushing, and she has had chronic Lyme. During flare-ups, she limps so badly she is non-weight baring. Yet when she's healthy, she can run flyball for 2 hours straight without faltering. I believe she remembers her hips hurting and shies from habit. She has gotten better with desensitizing massages.

ETA: Huskies typically don't have skin problems unless they are consistently wet or damp, or they are zinc deficient. With zinc deficiency, you will usually have multiple, obvious symptoms, not just hidden sores. to inspect skin, I usually just gently move little bits of fur aside with one hand, holding them back with the other until I see skin. If I really need to inspect thoroughly, it's easiest to give them a bath.

Edited by author Sun Nov 11, '12 7:51pm PST

[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 8:05pm PST 
ok thank you ember, i really hope she just doesn't like to be touched there. She doesn't ever limp or show signs of pain until i brush her back there. I have looked at her skin the best I can see and it looks fine to me. Thank you for your post, i have so many questions i have been asking everybody, im very thankful for this site!!! way to go
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:26pm PST 
Fritz hates to have his back legs and "pants" brushed. He has learned to tolerate it enough to keep him groomed but we have to brush in short sessions to keep him from getting too stressed. I also feed a lot of little treats while grooming. dog walk

PS Fritz will always try to hide or sit on the body part I want to brush. I have to put him against a wall and hold him up with one arm while brushing. He is really a character.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 8:17pm PST 
LOL thats what she does, i have to hold her up from under her belly!!!!! How are fritz's hips??
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 6:21am PST 
He hasn't had x rays, but from a physical examination my vet says that Fritz's hips are perfect.

Hip dysplasia isn't a health problem that is common to the breed, but I have heard of a lot of huskies that hate to be brushed and water boarded(bathed)dog walk
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 7:32am PST 
ok well that makes me hopeful then, thanks, i really hope thats all it is. puppy
[notify]