GO!

Just hyper..or something else?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bandit

Woo-WOOO!!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 9:58am PST 
So my husky Bandit is now 10. Shouldn't he be more calm by now? He is soooo hyper and clumsy like a puppy still. If someone comes home he is stomping around, running around, jumping around and just being crazy. Throughout the years we have tried training him not to jump, to just calm down, but it doesn't stick! He gets so excited that he just seems to forget everything! He's also on Phenobarbital for Seizures and when he was only a few years old had daily, multiple grand mal seizures till we could get it under control....could he have some brain damage due to this and is now mentally stunted? Don't get me wrong, he's a good boy most of the time but his level of excitement and lack of learning things makes me wonder. Is this just typical Husky behavior or something more? Any ideas?
[notify]
Kale

Its A Husky- Thing,You- Wouldnt- Understand

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 9:42am PST 
Normal Husky behavior. They act like 2-3 year old children till they leave us pretty much.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 5:41pm PST 
Multiple grand-mal seizures on a daily basis can absolutely cause brain damage. The only way to tell for sure would be to do an MRI, which really isn't necessary unless you're still seeing seizure activity.

Does he still have seizures on occasion? Extra anxiety and clinginess in dogs who are actively having seizures is common as well. The seizures don't hurt, but they are strange and make you feel funny, sometimes for quite a while before and afterward. Dogs can't understand what a seizure is and that we're medicating and managing it, so they just get scared.

That said, Huskies and Labs are both highly active breeds who don't really "retire." I know of sled dogs well into their teens. My arthritic Vance was running low-level agility up until he died at 10.5 yrs of a massive abdominal tumor. The only times he was low-key were when he was achey.

Not jumping and settling down in new or exiciting situations is also one of the most difficult things to teach. Many dogs grasp the basic concepts, but we the humans don't stick to the training consistantly or manage situations successfully enough for them to truly succeed. So it's tough to use that as a gauge for "the training doesn't stick."

The mentally ill or brain-damaged dogs I have worked with literally make almost no progress whatsoever and forget everything almost immediately after it's taught. There are dogs I have started at name recognition and worked up to recall and sit every single session for months - often feeling like I'm only rewarding coincidental actions - and they truly can not retain any of it. And these dogs are very, very rare.
[notify]