GO!

Fleas fleas fleas!!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Winston

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 9:49am PST 
Help!!!! I cannot for the life of me get rid of these pesky fleas! I am vacuuming twice a day, did a flea bath, flea bombed 5 different times, did all my laundry, and have put on Frontline. It's almost like the medicine can't get through my sibe's thick fur.. any advice?? I also have a german shepherd who is getting the same treatment. shrug
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 7:14am PST 
Make sure your applying the frontline to the skin not the fur. It should travel. Theres a good product out there called capstar. It is an oral medication and it helps when you are infested to kill the adult fleas it last for about 24 hours so you can give 1 when you see adult fleas. Your vet usually has it. I hate flea baths they are toxic at times and skin irritating and don't really work. Dawn dish soap is better in my opinion. Do you have cats?
Remember with fleas ALL animals in the house need to be treated. You may need to try a different flea prevention. Something oral like comfortis if frontline isn't working. You must treat for at least 3 months. But I always tell anyone who got fleas to treat year round because you will probably get them again.
Oh and if you bathed the dog in any dish soap or flea shampoo since you applied the frontline you may have washed the frontline off since they are stripping products. I wouldn't reapply the frontline though I would get a oral pill from the vet

Edited by author Mon Sep 10, '12 7:15am PST

[notify]
Bella

Puppy Fitness- Trainer

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 3:42pm PST 
I've only had Bella for a year and somehow I escaped this season without getting fleas so I don't know how good it is for dogs but whenever my cat got fleas I've used zodiac and that stuff works like a trick. Make sure they're getting a good food and brush em with a flea comb dunking it in soapy water and rinsing it to kill the fleas you catch and you'll really cut down on them.
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 10:20am PST 
You have to dig through your dog's fur and put topical treatments directly on to the skin. Putting them in 3 - 5 places along the spine will help the treatment spread over the dog's body faster.

In the experiance of myself and many others I know, Frontline straight up does not work anymore. I had good luck with Advantix (Advantage if your dog will be exposed to cats) a few years ago when we had MAJOR flea problems.

Flea baths are redundant - they don't kill fleas for more than a few hours after the bath, and any bath with a good shampoo will kill fleas. Dawn is extra effective if you're having a big issue, but it is not necessary and it is very drying on the skin and coat.

Topicals are oil-based, so you just applied Frontline and need to remove it to apply a different topical, Dawn will remove it. On the same note, if you just applied a topical and it's working, don't go and bathe them in Dawn too or you'll strip it off them.

Vacuuming and laundry is good - make certain your clothes stay hung up as much as possible, and off flat surfaces. When you vacuum, remember to IMMEDIATELY empty and clean the canister or replace the bag, or the fleas can crawl back out.

When we had our bad year, I also bought food-grade diatomacious earth (NOT pool grade - very toxic!) and spread it in hard to reach places fleas love. Under dressers, nightstands, couches, low beds the dogs don't go under, under their own beds, around the corners of the room... It kills fleas and other pests by puncturing their exoskeletons and drying them out. It can damage your lungs if you inhale it, and will kill your vacuum if you use too much, but once it's down it's down and works very well. You can coat your entire house, but it's a huge mess so I wouldn't if you can avoid it.
[notify]