GO!

New Puppy - Advice?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Hailey

Trouble wears- fur

Barked: Thu Dec 9, '10 8:35am PST 
A few days ago I got a 6 week old Sibe puppy. I know this is a bit young to get a puppy - but she's weaned and doesn't seem to be missing her liter or mom at all. I've had a Sibe before when I was younger, so I know how much work they are. I'm just looking for advice, what other experienced Sibe owners suggest, etc.
I've been trying to introduce her to her crate, but she constantly cries when I walk away from it. Any help?
I have another dog at home who is a bit weary of her. We've been trying to introduce them but he won't come near her. To let her still interact with other dogs, I bring her to work with me where there is a 6 month old puppy and a slightly older dog who play with her. How do I get my older dog to accept her?
[notify]
Embry & Zoey

Selective- hearing? Psh I- just don't care

Barked: Thu Dec 9, '10 10:36pm PST 
did you introduce the puppy and your older dog on neutral grounds? if you don't chances are the older dog will not take to the puppy and find it to be a threat in his home.

with the crate, get some ear plugs and ignore her. If you give her attention while she's crying she will associate crying with getting let out. Only let her out when she's quiet, even if is just her taking a break from screaming smile

good luck!
[notify]
Hailey

Trouble wears- fur

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 11:06am PST 
Thank you for the advice - we've now encountered a new problem. Biting.
I know its not mean by intention, but I just can't get her to stop. I've tried showing her a chew toy instead, which worked maybe twice. I've tried to open their mouth and growl approach... no impact at all. Yelping when she bites me only makes her want to play more, and she will bite on to whatever she can grab, as long as its part of me. What else can I try?
[notify]

Odin- --Aug-Dec- 2010--

I'm too sexy to- do something as- unkool.

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 3:29pm PST 
Hmm, first of all...congrats on your new baby!

On to other things...
Biting...yelping didnt work for me either...so I began to either hiss real loud... or say NO!

Another thing you can do...is buy some chewing things. I dont know the name...language barrier...

My pups had toys but they also had something specifically for biting...and they absolutely loved to spend hours just chewing it. I've heard that peanut butter in the upper part of their mouths works too...never tried that though.

Other than that...maybe train her not to bite. Put your hand in her mouth and if she bites say NO, and do so again and again. Mine then decided to close it and not let my hand inside his mouth...then I praised him and gave him some treats. It reduced the biting...enough. Another thing you can try is to make her lick your hand instead of bite...if she does, praise and treat.

Again, I didnt try some of this myself, just heard them. I am just talking from experience...Im not so good about this things myself, k?

Good luck!
[notify]
Embry & Zoey

Selective- hearing? Psh I- just don't care

Barked: Sat Dec 11, '10 2:11am PST 
the reason for all the biting is because between 6-8 weeks they learn bite inhibition from their litter mates, so since they're not there, you're going to need to do it. If she bit a litter mate, they'd yelp and walk away. That's what you have to do. As soon as she bites you, give a short yelp. Remove yourself from her (don't push her away as she'll interpret this as play) and ignore her completely for a couple of minutes.

You won't have instantaneous results
[notify]
Hailey

Trouble wears- fur

Barked: Sat Dec 11, '10 8:22am PST 
Thank you so much for the help. She does have chew toys, but much perfers my hands and feet. I'll try the yelping strategy again. Thank you so much! smile
[notify]
Booker

Barked: Thu Dec 23, '10 6:06am PST 
As far as the crate goes - try giving her a treat when you put her in (even if you force her in and give her a treat through the bars). This worked with my boy and now I can say "crate" and runs and sits in there because he knows he is getting a treat. Also, this might sound gross, but put one of your own dirty shirts in the crate with your puppy (like one that you worked out in or sweated in). I had a hard time with my puppy crying and when I put the shirt in there, it solved all the problems. You could also try getting a DAP plug in and plugging it in next to the crate.
[notify]