GO!

Need some advice (Kind of long , sorry)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Wilson

ME TOO!!! ME- TOO!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 3:24pm PST 
As some may have read, I just had Wilson Neutered last week. He is doing well, but at times he is very aggressive with the male pups,(age 6 mo.). Today he jumped on Barkley and ripped off a nail on Barkley's front paw. I now some of this is a dominance issue, and some is probably hormonal, but my hubby was home and broke up the fight,and suggested that maybe we should see about finding Wilson a new home. It is not just his fighting with the pups. He does not like men much and has a fit every time someone comes in the yard or to the door. He also does not like either one of my grown sons, especially the youngest one. He is not so much aggressive, as he is very protective. He is like he is on guard most of the time. And he is jealous. He does not fight the female dogs, just the male ones. I am having all the rest spayed and neutered ASAP. Oddball goes Monday and am making appts. for the rest. I had hoped that neutering Wilson will help, but I know it may take a while for the lack of doggy testosterone to kick in. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Do you think that Wilson will calm down especially after I have the other's neutered? We are also afaid of him being grumpy with the grandkids and biting one of them. Anyone have any suggestions or comments. I cold use some help here.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '07 10:30am PST 
I would seek professional help with him.
[notify]
Hudson

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '07 4:43pm PST 
I found a great dog training website. It's www.leerburg.com. There is tons of info there on almost everything you need to know from a professional trainer. There are some free e-books and some you have to purchase, but there is some info about agressive dogs. Check it out and see what you think!
[notify]

Wilson

ME TOO!!! ME- TOO!!!

Barked: Mon May 21, '07 10:00pm PST 
Just wanted to let you know tha t Wilson is doing much better now. He is not grumpy with the pups any more, except when he gets fed up with puppy nonsense and now he just growls at them and puts them in their place. He is back to sleeping on the bed and was even caught napping on the couch. He plays a lot and is no longer on hyper alert all the time. He no longer barks at my older son and will even stay in the same room with the younger one. He tries to play with the grandbabies and is just so much more laid back . He is back to the way he was when we first got him. I had all the pups spayed and neutered as well as Sassy and Wilson. So my house is much quieter and neater, unless they find kleenexes or newspaper.
[notify]