GO!

Allergies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Brody Machievelli Beau

Love Me Tender- Love Me True

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 3:09pm PST 
My shih tzu is allergic to grass, and he itches and scratches all the time. We have tried several rememdies and cortizone shots and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?
[notify]
Buddy

Gone and greatly- missed

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '07 9:44pm PST 
My mom had this problem with one of her pups. The vet suggested that every time she came back in, to wipe her off with plain old baby wipes. This seemed to help and if she happend to itch, it seemed to calm that too. Some wipes contain witch hazel, which is good for itchies.
[notify]
Brody Machievelli Beau

Love Me Tender- Love Me True

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 11:53am PST 
Thanks for the hint, I will try that and see how it works.
[notify]

Suzy Q

I'm The Qween

Barked: Fri May 25, '07 9:55pm PST 
My mom shampoos me with shampoo called Malesob, she got it at the groom shop where she works but our vet carries it too,I think it's purpose is for yeast but it sure works well with all my allergies. One time all my hair fell out cause a flee bit me. The baths have to be in very cool water. I was freezing but when I got dried I didn't etch any more for weeks. And some times I take benadril. But NO crotizone unless i"m scracting my hair out. Good Luck! I know how it feels to be etchy. Keep as cool as you can this summer. love Suzy
[notify]
Princess- Jasmynn- Belle

I'm the- boss...deal with- it!

Barked: Wed May 30, '07 1:43pm PST 
Yep, I've got baaad allergies. So bad, that my dad has to give me shots every two weeks. I take a bath (with Malesob) at least once a week. I go to an actual pet allergist...and guess what his name is...NO LIE...Dr. Garfield!! His partner....Dr. Crow!! Of course they had to be vets when they grew up! Good luck with yours!
[notify]
Mopsy

cookies !!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 11:10pm PST 
ditto, Im am itchy girl smile

I take benedryls twice a day and predisone when I get really itchy and red.

Mom's always checking my skin and following me around with pink pills, she' s a bit of a worry wart since my bout w/ IMHA last year, but Im not going anywhere, Im a princess and she would be lost without me !

smile I dont mind that my behind has gotten a little wider, it makes me look much cuter when I waggle down the road.
[notify]
Mopsy

cookies !!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 11:17pm PST 
ditto, Im am itchy girl smile

I take benedryls twice a day and predisone when I get really itchy and red.

Mom's always checking my skin and following me around with pink pills, she' s a bit of a worry wart since my bout w/ IMHA last year, but Im not going anywhere, Im a princess and she would be lost without me !

smile I dont mind that my behind has gotten a little wider, it makes me look much cuter when I waggle down the road.
[notify]
Molly

Licks everyone- to death!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '07 10:02am PST 
My shih tzu Molly also used to scratch all the time. We took her to the vet and they suggested that we switch her to fish-based food. Now, she eats fish-based and sweet potato dog food and salmon all natural treats. It is supposed to be really good for their skin and coat. We saw a transformation immediately! She still scratches sometimes, but not nearly as much. We illiminated all ingredients and bi-products from her diet so it's pretty basic and give her a bath once a week to wash out the allergens from the grass. She hardly ever scratches and when she does, it's usually because she had a different doggie treat. Good luck!
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '07 8:09pm PST 
Mine too....but she's much worse in the fall....scratching all the time and biting her feet. The Doc said it is definitely an allergy and thought it might be a food allergy. But I think it's something from outside. Suggestion was to use generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine) either capsule or tablet form, but it didn't seem to do much at all. Maybe I didn't use it on her long enough....you might want to try it for a few weeks.
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 3:53am PST 
Toby is allergic to flea bites and has seasonal allergies it seems in spring. We use what everyone else does, benedryl or generic benedryl (do not buy it with anything but the one ingredient in the pills). He gets 25mg capsule or tablet (whether we get generic or name brand) usually every four to six hours until he settles down from his allergic reaction. Sometimes it takes one or two doses, sometimes it's a couple weeks of on/off treatment to keep on top of the reaction.
It's been as bad as him having a severe allergic reaction and ending up at the vet in an emergent situation before we knew he had these allergies. Several times he's had to get a prednisone type shot to get on top of the allergies if the benedryl doesn't work. Now we catch it early and give the benedryl til he's feeling better. Sad to see him sleeping more b/c he's 'drugged' but way better for him and safer to stave off a dangerous allergic reaction that could compromise his airway. The worst one happened super fast, face turned red, eyes red, all happening within an hour or two.
Treating preventatively is best also. For flea allergies, we use Advantage in flea season, and just keep some dog friendly benedryl on hand for those itchy days.
[notify]