GO!

Shiba coat?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tidus

Love is ice- cubes and pine- cones.

Barked: Tue Jun 1, '10 4:04pm PST 
So I have a question, Tidus has the texture and look of a short haired dog and his tail looks like a pug's. I did some research and found that with many breeds they do not get their full coats until two years.
However two things have made me doubt my thinking it will grow in. One is Hamlet who is about the same age and always talks about being fluffy. Two is Shadow although we are not 100% on his age the vet put him at a little under a year. He had a full thick winter coat that he has since blown out leaving him with his summer coat. But it still looks and feels so different from Tidus. And their tails, Shadow's looks like a miniature husky's and Tidus a curly little pig/pug tail. So when is it normal for a shiba to have an adult coat? Even so is Tidus normal?
[notify]
Yuuki

Humans are so- hard to train

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 4:11am PST 
A lot of the shibas we know completely blow out their puppy coat somewhere around a year. Minx did that in Feb. at 11 months. Made me cold just to look at the little bald girl in all of the snow and ice. Now that it's summer, she is back pretty much in full coat. Me I don't think I ever really blow coat. It's mine and I'm keeping it.
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 5:44am PST 
just like in so many other ways, shibas can vary in their coats too. if you look at hamlet and tank next to each other its ridiculous. ham is a fluff ball and tank has a much thinner, coarser coat. it depends on their blood lines. if you do a little googling you'll see a variety of different characteristics with shibas. even facial structure. vixen has a very soft and fluffy shiba coat, but is somewhere between hamlet and tank fluff-wise. its nothing to worry about! big grin

Edited by author Wed Jun 2, '10 5:45am PST

[notify]

Tidus

Love is ice- cubes and pine- cones.

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 11:34am PST 
Thanks for you posts, I didn't know they could be that different I guess will just wait and see if it changes...so my husband can stop joking on him and calling him a shug (shiba/pug) confused
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 1:04pm PST 
tidus looks nothing like a pug! or a shug for that matter!

not cool dad!
[notify]
Hamlet

Is it a fox?

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 1:15pm PST 
Shug!!

Tidus, you are a very handsome Shiba! So what if you're not super fluffy? smile

At least your daddy can't be like mine and call you "Fluff Butt"...red face
[notify]
Koda

The Great White- Hunter

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 4:21pm PST 
Ahaha! Koda's daddy calls him fluffbutt too!
[notify]
Koji

Looks like a- fox, walks like- a deer

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 10:24pm PST 
Hahaha, mom and dad call me "fuzz butt" since that's the part of me I get the most fur and shed the most. I have shorter fur all over (which mom thinks is partially genetics and partially for being a southern Shiba) but I have a nice butt fluff. Protects against warm sidewalk sits, I say. puppy
[notify]
KG

using my shiba- mind power on- you..

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 2:01pm PST 
how many weeks, or months, does it take a shiba to loose his winter coat? I've been brushing KG daily, but I still feel like I can't keep the fuzz under control. shrug
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Jun 4, '10 8:15pm PST 
I'm not sure on how long a winter coat takes to blow This will be my first winter coat blow with Saya I never owned a double coated breed before..

I thought Saya was done, but apparently that was her front end now she is blowing her butt fluff and leg areas and some on her neck.. lol

I've bathed her and have been brushing her each day with a kong zoom groom and a brush I'm going to try a furminator next year..

Take a look at these funny pictures of two shiba inu and their fluff. laugh out loud

http://alaina.vox.com/library/photo/6a00b8ea068718dece00c2251c8c b4549d.html
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2