GO!

Mouthing!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sake'

I am SO not a- fox

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 2:45pm PST 
What should I do to stop Sake from chewing on everyone?

She's relentless at it.

I've tried "NO!" I've tried the shake can, I've tried toys, and pushing her away.

Any suggestions?shrug
[notify]
Nakita

I can has socks?

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 4:20pm PST 
Ahhhh....the good old days! Personally, I found NOTHING worked with Nakita. Shake cans intrigued her, "no" meant "try me", removing myself from her reach made her try all the harder when I was in her reach...And now I have the regression in the form of walk mouthing.

Remember when you once said you wanted Sushi to be more like Nakita? I think you got your wish!

I do wish I had advice...too bad we can't just meet up and let them go at each other a few days a week!
[notify]
Mochi

I'm too smart- for you.

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 4:26pm PST 
why don't you try keeping her on leash to be able to correct her undesired behaviors? at least until she learns the rules of the house if there are any wink
[notify]

Sake'

I am SO not a- fox

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 4:27pm PST 
She's really pushy with it. She gets really mad and tries harder when I push her back or move away!

I hope puppy classes work!

I have been trying to give her treats for sitting and staring at the treat, VS jumping around biting everything and she seemed to catch on!

But then she lunges at the treat with great vigor, and I don't know how to stop that.shrug
[notify]
Sake'

I am SO not a- fox

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 4:28pm PST 
I can't really keep her on a leash because I have Sushi too, and they will stop at nothing to play with each other and that causes problems when one is leashed.thinking

And they sleep separated in their crates and are in crates when I'm at work, so more restriction isn't good for them.

Edited by author Tue Sep 9, '08 4:34pm PST

[notify]
Mochi

I'm too smart- for you.

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 4:38pm PST 
Do you give her free roam around the house? Did you start introducing the house to her by giving her an on-leash tour first?
Does she mouth in certain situations or does she always do it?
[notify]
Sake'

I am SO not a- fox

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 5:25pm PST 
She sleeps in a crate, and is in there when I cant watch her or when I need a break.

No I didn't introduce her on leash.

She does it more when she's excited, like getting out of the crate, meeting new people, treat time, play time

Oh and when I try to hold her still or hold her on her back.

She's a dominant girl

Edited by author Tue Sep 9, '08 5:26pm PST

[notify]
Mochi

I'm too smart- for you.

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 7:30pm PST 
sounds good except do you feed her when she's excited or let her out of the crate before she is calm? It might help to wait until she is calm before she gets any type of affection. that way she will learn that being calm is a good thing and being dominant doesn't earn her a treat or anything else she likes wink
[notify]
Sake'

I am SO not a- fox

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 7:40pm PST 
Hmm well I give them a cup of food each in the morning and it still isn't all finished by night, I just leave their bowls in their crate all day.

She gets really excited when I go to let her out of the crate, then I put my hand in to keep her in until I have the door upen, then I let her come out and I immediately pick her up so she doesn't get excited and pee.

I could try walking away from the crate instead of opening it up and letting her out, when I see she is so excited, do you think that could help anything?

But now that I think of it she will probably get excited every time I step near the crate no matter how many times I walk away, and the problem doesn't revolve only around the crate.thinking

Edited by author Tue Sep 9, '08 7:41pm PST

[notify]
Nakita

I can has socks?

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 9:45pm PST 
I think you got Nakita's sister!blue dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2