GO!

Luxating Patella Surgery, terrified about anesthesia

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 1:48pm PST 
Hi! I am new here but desperately seeking advice and/or reassurance. I have a (almost) 5 year old male pug, George. He is in great health and not overweight but was recently diagnosed with luxating patella, grade 3. Two vets have recommended surgery to correct it BUT I am absolutely terrified of putting him under anesthesia. He was neutered when we adopted him so he has obviously been put under before. But I just can't stop thinking about how horrible I would feel if something were to go wrong and he died during surgery. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice is appreciated!
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 6:30pm PST 
There are always some risks to anesthesia but they are generally smaller than the risk of letting the condition go on without treatment. Your dog is probably in pain. Do you want him to continue to live a life in pain? Whenever people have concerns about anesthesia, I always recommend that they speak to their vet and voice their concerns. If your vet can't calm your fears to some extent, then it might be time to find another vet you can trust.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 6:03am PST 
Thank you all so much for your replies! He made it through just fine and is at home now. But...I am having a problem with him trying to go to the bathroom. He can't put any pressure on his leg yet so he is having a very hard time figuring out how to potty. He finally was able to urinate yesterday but when he tried to poop today, he kept falling down. He finally gave up and just sat on his good leg. Any suggestions on how to help? I just can't figure out how to work this out for him...
[notify]