GO!

Exercise, what do you guys do?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 5:25pm PST 
Hi everyone! Although Ralph isn't a 'purebred' hes more pug than he is shih tzu and has the same weight issues as puggies. Ralph is almost 5 and weighs 23 lbs. Hes a smidgen taller than the average pug, but still overweight. Hes also temperature sensitive which makes it difficult to do outside things a lot.

My question to you guys is, what form of exercise do you guys do with your doggies? Ralph loves to play and go for walks, but like I said, that can't always happen.

Any suggestions?
[notify]
Peggy - Adopted!!!!

"I'm FREE!"

Barked: Wed Jan 14, '09 8:03am PST 
I let mine run in a fenced yard. The like to chase anything. Other dogs, balls, toys, bugs, anything.

One will walk but the other won't. The one who won't is of course the one with weight issues. I give her a little less food and she has shed some pounds.
[notify]
Little Bit

"pug tart"

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '09 6:18pm PST 
We recently moved from Houston to Chicago and my pug "Little Bit' hates going out in the snow.. so I feel your struggle.

I went out and got her a lazer pointer and she loves chasing it around.. plus I can do it while sitting on the couch and not having to be outside freezing. She loves that thing... and it wears her out.

Good luck!
[notify]

Pablo

I'm a mouth- piece!

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 8:44pm PST 
If the weather isn't the greatest to play outside I will sit at one end of my hallway and throw a ball so he will run back and forth until he's tired.way to go
[notify]
Penelope

Firecracker

Barked: Wed Feb 4, '09 5:43am PST 
We live in Yuma, AZ, it gets extremely hot here (~115 most of summer). Clyde didnt like to go outside when it was hot unless we came outside with him. After time, Clyde was acclimated and would go on 3 miles runs with me in the morning (with a short break every half mile or so for some water and cool down period as needed, which was rare). We walk 1-2 miles very frequently (4-5 times a week). We started with short walks, and worked our way up.

Penelope and Sofia will get the same routine starting in a couple of days. If it's cold outside, we toss some clothes on them and if it's hot, we take occasional breaks if the pups indicate they need it.

My point here, dont be afraid to exercise these guys! Start small, before you know it, they'll be wearing you out!
[notify]