GO!

Housebreaking Pugs...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Pablo

I'm a mouth- piece!

Barked: Thu Dec 11, '08 7:38pm PST 
Hi, I am new and I am curious to read others pug housebreaking stories...

I found housebreaking a pug to be a bit of a handful. He continued to do the "potty" thing in the house up to a year but only once in awhile after hitting the 8 month old mark. He also doesn't whine or bark to let me know he's gotta go, I only know when he comes right over to me and gives me the "i gotta go outside" stare so a couple times i missed it and he went in the house. I heard its normal for pugs to take awhile to housebreak. Curious to hear others stories...

blue dog
[notify]
Leo

Wookie Wannabe!

Barked: Fri Dec 12, '08 5:37pm PST 
I've also heard that it's hard to housebreak pugs, mainly because they can be so stubborn. I think with ours we were very lucky! Rose was a rescue and already housebroken when we got hersmile

Leo we crate trained until he was about 6 months old and then we got him an x-pen so he could have more room but not too much. He had maybe a dozen accidents during that time (never in the crate of x-pen though) and most were just like you said, because I didn't understand that pitiful, pleading "I need to go to the bathroom look". He's a little over a year old now and has free roam of the house when we're not home and he's been totally accident free since he was 8 months old. We have a pretty set schedule for potty breaks and I think because he knows he can trust in that routine he doesn't have to stress about when or where to go.
blue dog
[notify]
Otis Ford

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 8:28am PST 
Otis is housebroken but it was a long road. Still now, if the weather is unfavorable, he does not like to go outside. He always trys to go in the bathroom thoughsmile
[notify]