GO!

Small nostrils?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ozzie

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 10:41am PST 
My vet has recommended that we have surgery to expand my nostrils. Has anyone had this surgery? My mommy read on the net that it is not necessary but I thought I would get some input.

Thanks.
[notify]
Rose

Pug Fu Master!!

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 11:39am PST 
I've had surgery to correct my stenotic nares (small nasal openings) and I really needed it. I wasn't able to enjoy walks, play time or even get too excited because I would start coughing. I also had my soft palette trimmed because it was causing me breathing issues as well. They normally do both the nares and the palette during the same surgery and send you home the next day. I did really well with my surgery and healed very quickly with no issues. You can't even tell I've had the surgery, the only difference is that instead of my nostrils looking like little slits they now look a little more rounded. I'm much healthier and happier now and can walk a whole block without even breaking a sweat (much less coughing).

For me the surgery was necessary to help me live a happier, healthier life but it's not for all pugs. Some lucky puggies never have to worry about it. I know my Mom and Dad were really worried about me having the surgery and had lots of questions and concerns so if you want more details or need any information feel free to pmail me!
[notify]
Promise

Everything is- mine. You just- live here.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 5:49pm PST 
Hi!

As for this surgery. When I was a little pug, my mommy took me to the vet for a check-up. He told her that he wanted to 'cut my nose open' so I would breathe like a german shepherd. Mommy told him I breathed fine. I snore, but that is normal for pugs. Unless you have bad breathing problems and it negatively impacts your daily living and/or quality of life... don't do it! Mommy thinks that the vet we used to see (the one who wanted to cut my nose), just likes to do surgeries and was doing more harm than good. I have a new vet now, and she said that I don't need it. Always, get a second opinion and trust your gut!
[notify]

PiGGie

am I a piG in a- PuG?

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 2:09am PST 
Hi,

i heard all pugs snore? i snore too, while walking, while playing, all the time? is it normal? or it is symptom of me not being so healthy??

Luv,
PuGu
[notify]