GO!

Hi my name is Mr. Coco

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

coco

Barked: Sun May 25, '08 5:29am PST 
Please help me with my skin irritation.. Its very itchy!!!! check out my photo to see my skin ... help me if you can..
[notify]
Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 11:57am PST 
Could be a lot of things but my guess would be a form of mange or contact dermatitis. It's sort of hard to tell from the pic but is it where the collar usually is?

We had to stop using collars for Cooper because they'd wear the hair off his neck just like that. Takes a long time for it to grow back too and the spots can get irritated if I've put perfume on and he touches my clothing, or if I don't use a more mild detergent for his crate blankets.

I'd check with a vet to be sure though way to go
[notify]
coco

Barked: Fri May 30, '08 10:41pm PST 
thanks for the reply!
[notify]

Promise

Everything is- mine. You just- live here.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 6:15pm PST 
This could be a form of dermatitis (fancy name for skin itchy), or what's known as a 'hot spot.' Check with your vet to confirm this, but they have some great allergy / skin irritation shampoos.

My mommy likes this one that we got from the vet the first time for my dermatitis (now she gets it online it's called Vet Solutions Universal Medicated Shampoo):

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Vet+Solutions+Universal+Medicated+Sha mpoo-prod248144.html

It takes care of hot spots, and is antibacterial and antifungal. It sort of takes care of any kind of skin irritation across the board. Also, read up about any type of shampoo you wash with. You might also try baby shampoo if you have sensitive skin (plus it feels and smells so good!!!). Good Luck!!!
[notify]
Gena - In Memory- 2004-2008

Gena woo woo woo- woo.

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 2:02pm PST 
I agree with Cooper. Gena's collar's would leave her with bald spots around her neck and her harness would leave her with bald spots under her arms. I would alternate every few months so it wouldn't chaffe her. If it does irritate the skin you could check with your vet about using dermatological or baby shampoo. My vet recommended baby shampoo to help with skin irritation (Gena particularly irratable if she'd fleas and the shampoo would relieve her irritated skin).

Definitely check with your vet to make sure it isn't anything worse and see what he/she recommends.
[notify]