GO!

luxating Patella ?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

SW ON pug rescue

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '08 11:42am PST 
My 2 year old pug was just diagnosed with luxating patellas in both back legs. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this.

She is not affected by it at all yet, my vet said i can have surgery or i can wait and see what happens. I am not sure what to do at this point.

Any advice?
[notify]
Minnie

Girls just want- to have fun.

Barked: Sat Jul 26, '08 1:40am PST 
My pug, Minnie , has the same condition but the vets really don't want to operate on her at this point. They feel that if it is not causing her a problem, it would not be fair to put her through the pain of the surgery at this stage. Of course I live in a ranch style house and she is not stressed with a lot of steps. They prefer to take a more conservative approach since it takes some rehabilitation to get the dog back to normal after the surgery. So far, we are in a wait and see mode and I don't plan on having the surgery unless she starts to show some sort of difficulty or distress from the condition.
[notify]
Promise

Everything is- mine. You just- live here.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 5:36pm PST 
Hi! Luxating Patella is something that is sometimes found in pugs. What it is, my understanding (from our vet) is that the knee cap doesn't sit far enough down into the groove of the knee joint. The surgery they do just deepens the groove so that the patella (the knee cap) sits in the groove better. Miss Promise Lou (our almost 4yr old pug) had her right knee done in January 2008, and her left knee done last week. Her right knee would pop out when you would pick her up and she would scream in agony. We took her to an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in this surgery (most vets don't do this type of surgery or aren't 'the best' at it). The vet told us she would soon have the same problem in her left knee, and she began showing the same signs/symptoms. Since her surgery in January, her right leg had been SO much stronger and better. She is surely a better dog for it, and much happier. Although it stinks seeing her hurting, as long as she rests and re-coups, she'll be fine and better in the long run. Hope this helps!
[notify]

~Hercules~

Poopzilla...I- left you a- prezzie!

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 12:44am PST 
Little Hercules was diagnosed at 4 months of age to have level 4 luxating patella. He was already having trouble standing as there were absolutely no grooves for his knee caps to glide on. Because of the severity of his condition, it caused his leg bones to become deformed. They literally are twisting around like a corkscrew in his right back leg. At any rate, we waited until he was 7 months old and had the surgery. The poor little guy was in casts for several months and crated for several more. In January of this year he got the pins removed and was doing well. Normally this would fix the problem. In his case, he really needed further surgery but we just cannot afford 3K more especially with our senior pug fighting cancer, too. We know that keeping him thinner than most pugs will help keep pressure off his knees, thus keep him active longer. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us!
[notify]
Gena - In Memory- 2004-2008

Gena woo woo woo- woo.

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 2:46pm PST 
Gena had luxating patella's. While surgery is an option, it depends on the condition of the dog. Gena would occasionally lift her leg up as a puppy but as she got older she rarely showed any signs that it bothered her. I would check up with my vet to make sure it hadn't worsened.

If Lucky isn't in pain, I wouldn't put him through the surgery. I had two different vets tell me the same thing.
[notify]