GO!

Pug food/poop schedule

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lily

More food with- my *whine*- please

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '07 9:01am PST 
How many times do you feed your Pug and how many times do they poop daily? I'm just wondering because now that Lily is turning 2 yrs old, she is still pooping 3 times a day. I expected this when she was much younger and ate 3 meals a day. I've tried feeding one larger meal a day instead of two smaller ones, but there's no difference in her potty routine.

I make sure she "goes" before I leave at 9am. Problem is, she goes again around noon and no one is home to let her out before I get back by 2pm. So I find a big mess that is a challenge to deal with at this point. This isn't a very long time span, and most other dogs (like my Papillon can make it fine), but Lily has separation anxiety and works herself into a frenzy. She must be crated for that short time because she will destroy the house and eat cat turds.

As long as I am home, she has never had an accident. I feed her a high quality food, and the vet says she is a healthy weight. She does get one small duck and potato biscuit in the morning, but I feel like a mean mommy feeding her once a day since Pugs always hungry anyhow.

What is your dog's feeding/poop schedule? Any ideas for Lily? Thanks!
[notify]
Rocky

I'm not a- morning pug!

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '07 5:48pm PST 
I have 2 pugs, and they eat twice a day, and poop twice a day. I get up 2 hours before I have to leave for work, and I feed them breakfast right after they go out. Then we play for a while, and they follow me as I get ready for work. I take them out a couple of times during the 2 hours, and they will do their business.
When I get home I take them out right away, and feed them by 4. They usually poop again in the early evening.
[notify]
Layla

Cinco de Mayo's- My Birthday!

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '07 7:43pm PST 
I feed Layla at 10 am and 5 pm & i'm home most of the time so I just let her go out whenever she needs...
but if Lily has separation anxiety then it might not be because you're leaving her too long. Layla also has separation anxiety and I read that during separation anxiety dogs sometimes lose control of their bowel movements and things... kinda like when humans pee their pants when they're scared... it happens to layla when we leave her alone also...
[notify]

Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 9:02pm PST 
Fig is fed at about 9am and 4pm. She usually poops twice a day. She usually goes when she gets up in the morning, prior to breakfast and again early afternoon. Three times doesn't seem excessive to me! No advice to offer on her going inside, Fig is litter box trained because I am obviously inept at housebreaking a pug--it was going great until winter came and then she refused to do her duty outside. The litter box works great for us and for Fig!
[notify]
Granpa

lazy gordo;- gordito- lindo;good ol'- granp

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '07 5:36pm PST 
i eat 2 times a day, and poop about 2 to 3 times a day, ussually during my morning exercise walks. if i eat dry food, this is better for me, if i eat wet food, i poop more, and if i eat human food, well you know what happens.. i will spare you the details. red face
[notify]
Lily

More food with- my *whine*- please

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '07 6:07pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your replies. I just got back from taking Lily to the vet. She started to urinate some blood today. I knew something was wrong....her potty routine has been a little strange all week...and now I see why.....she has a medical problem....cry

It's saturday night, but the vet made a special trip back to open the office especially for Lily. He gave her an antibiotic injection tonight just in case it's a urinary tract infection, and will take X-rays tomorrow morning to rule out kidney stones and tumors. What concerns me is that she had been eating Natural Balance canned lamb until it was recalled. So we're hoping it's something less serious than kidney damage.

This little girl has been through enough already with her hereditary eye disease. If any of you other Puggies and ("pawrents") would be so kind as to keep Lily in your thoughts and prayers, we sure would appreciate it!.......hug
[notify]
Rocky

I'm not a- morning pug!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '07 9:57am PST 
I hope everything turns out ok.
[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '07 8:00am PST 
Oh no, Lily. You are in our prayers and we will send some healing vibes your way.
hughughughughug
[notify]