GO!

Weird behavior

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 7:14am PST 
Hi, I'm new (but though my login shows my name, Vicky, it signs me in as "guest". Anyway, here's my question: my Pomeranian started doing this weird thing. He'd place his bone beside my leg (I sit curled up on couch) and then he would scrape his nose across my leg. He did this a few weeks after we adopted him and bonded. I thought he just wanted lovin' so I'd give it to him. But then he'd scratch his nose again. I checked his nose, but it was fine.

I was fixing' to take him to the vet one day. The day before, I got a heated blanket (my new friend LOL (OT)). He put his bone down, but THIS time, he did the nose thing to the blanket until HIS BONE WAS COVERED!!! Once it was covered, he laid down on top of it and was finally at peace with life. LOL! All along, he's been trying to bury his bone! Anyone heard of this?
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 10:25am PST 
Yup! Everytime my sister gives her pom a treat, weather it be a bone, a snack, pig ear, whatever, she'd run off onto a bed or near a bunch of clothes and bury it. She'd drop it on top of a pillow and move her nose over it again and again trying to bury it! It's normal and natural and totally hilarious XD
[notify]
Wicket

Did you say go?- I'm in!

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 3:41pm PST 
Wicket does the same thing. When we leave him for a few hours, he's put in his pen & we give him a Kong & a few biscuits. When we come back the Kong treats are gone, but the biscuits are "buried" in the corners of his bed. It is so cute!
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 5:13am PST 
Thats another thing he does, now that you mention it. Before we go out, leaving him alone, I give Hickory a doggy bacon strip, and lay a few more beside him to eat. when we return, he scrambles to get to me, squeals and then darts back to his untouched treats. It is funny, and would be totally hilarious if he didn't also deprive himself of water, which he gulps down after our arrival. This is why we can't stay out long, or we must take him with us. I think he has abandonment issues. Is it a Pom-specific behavior?
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 1:46pm PST 
I think smaller dogs have more abandonment issues than larger but all dogs could suffer from it. Mine do for sure, never do a thing wrong til I walk out the door, then I come home to poo on the rug and something torn to bits weather it be a shoe or their puppy pad >.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 6:13pm PST 
He's an angel, other than self-deprivation. He's a rescue, and our guess (including adoption agency) is that he was bred as a show dog. "unfortunately" (for the breeders, fortunate for me) he gained three extra pounds, weighing in at a whoppin' ten pounds. Hey! Maybe he developed an eating disorder! LOL
The reason for the suspicion is because he is well-trained, walks at my heal with grace, and even spins on his back legs when I hold a treat over his head. He doesn't grab for treats. When I hand one to him, he is very shy and slow to eat it. I was joking about ED, but I'm beginning to believe the owners restricted his food; taught him to resist treats. He is amazingly intelligent. In three tries I taught him to stop in his tracks when I say, "Stop!" In four tries I taught him to stay, when I say, "stay", even when tempted by other dogs or my parrot.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 6:16pm PST 
He's an angel, other than self-deprivation. He's a rescue, and our guess (including adoption agency) is that he was bred as a show dog. "unfortunately" (for the breeders, fortunate for me) he gained three extra pounds, weighing in at a whoppin' ten pounds. Hey! Maybe he developed an eating disorder! LOL
The reason for the suspicion is because he is well-trained, walks at my heal with grace, and even spins on his back legs when I hold a treat over his head. He doesn't grab for treats. When I hand one to him, he is very shy and slow to eat it. I was joking about ED, but I'm beginning to believe the owners restricted his food; taught him to resist treats. He is amazingly intelligent. In three tries I taught him to stop in his tracks when I say, "Stop!" In four tries I taught him to stay, when I say, "stay", even when tempted by other dogs or my parrot.

BTW, I'm signed in, but it still shows me as "guest".
[notify]