GO!

New adopted Pom

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Maxx

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 9:28am PST 
Hello,

Me and my husband just adopted a 5 year old Pom. We were told he had peridontal disease and has cataracts. just wanted to know what to expect. we are still due to take him in to get a full exam to see the extent.Hes a sweet dog and im hoping for the best. He also seems to cough out hairballs it seems. is that normal?
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 8:38pm PST 
Congratulations on you adoption. I 'm not sure but 5 seems young for cataracts. Hope everything goes well at his check up. Once his teeth are fixed up bullsticks are great chews to help with cleaning.
[notify]
Maxx

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 10:07am PST 
Thank you, do you brush his teeth as well? Appears mines has alot of tarter build up
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 9:17pm PST 
Poms have awful teeth. Its a breed thing. There are many great products you can brush your dogs teeth when once the teeth are professionally cleaned and cared for. Be sure to have a blood test run BEFORE teeth get cleaned to be sure he is up for the surgery. Cataracts can require eye drops. That is young for such an ailment, I hope they didn't say he was 5 when he is actually older? Either way, I am sure he is in good hands now. Enjoy him!
[notify]