GO!

Which food it best

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jack John- Kammer

chunkie - if he was a kid- he'd be pudgy

Barked: Tue Mar 1, '11 6:50pm PST 
I am so confused. With lil ceasers jack pooped alot and so did lilli, now imthink of putting them on sciene diet (lilli was on it before and didnt eat as much or poop as much) but it doesnt seem to make a difference on jack. should i wait its been less than a week should i wait and see... so confused what do you all feed your poms?
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Tue Mar 1, '11 7:41pm PST 
When switching between brands it's always best to do some sort of transition period. Start off with a little bit of the new food and slowly add more and more over about a 1-2 week period. I would also give it at least a month for the digestive system to adjust to the change.

I personally am not a fan of corn since it is a filler, does not contribute any nutrition, and is not very digestible, so I avoid brands that have corn in the ingredients. Nicky has been on Nutro, Blue Buffalo, and is currently on Taste of the Wild and has done wonderfully on all 3 of those brands. Nice small and firm poops.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Tue Mar 1, '11 10:12pm PST 
You won't find many fans of Science diet here. Whatever you chose to feed transition slowly. I also feed TOTW but they do not have a puppy formula. When they were puppies I fed them Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers soul puppy formula.
[notify]

Jack John- Kammer

chunkie - if he was a kid- he'd be pudgy

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 7:39am PST 
i am going slowly on switching. im gonna give it some time and if he's still not right ill try another. his poop this morning was normal. (green from a bone from christmas) but normal... I'll be watching all day and making sure he's ok. puppies... i worry about my dogs and he's not helping lol
[notify]
Grisly

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 12:53pm PST 
Hi! I'm kinda new to being a dog owner but i'll try and help. smile
the responses you already got have given good advice. I have my pom on 4 health, mostly because his breeder had him on it. Its fairly priced for being a pretty good brand of food. Although there are better brands out there, I'd stay away from anything from a grocery store or wal-mart etc. too many fillers! Hope that helps!
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 1:42pm PST 
Corn is a common allergen in dogs so it's possible that he will never have a firm stool, regardless of how long he's on it. I'd look into a higher quality food that doesn't contain so many fillers. You've gotten some good suggestions of brands so far. Wellness puppy is also good. They can all be found at Petsmart, Petco, or your local feed store. There isn't a grocery store brand that I'd be comfortable feeding my poms.
[notify]
Satori

Will Pose For- Food!!!!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 8:14pm PST 
Not that you have to, but I homecook for my little guy, and not expensive cause he is so little. Look for my recipes in the home cooking forum on dogster. It is a bit complicated at first, but then when you have the ingredients, really easy. My recipe is developed for poms. Satori's Stew takes about an hour to make once a month and then I freeze it in muffin cups. He also gets 2 TBL homemade kefir once daily. I just cook the stew up in a 4 qt.stew pot. Half the poo, and reduced vet bills across his lifetime. He gets one muffin a day, which is 1/3 cup of the stew, fed twice a day. And he loves it. Questions gladly responded to, if you want.If requested, I will post my recipe in this forum. Vet-approved, BTW, my vet was all over it.

Edited by author Wed Mar 2, '11 8:17pm PST

[notify]
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:57am PST 
Satori, can you post the recipe? I'm curious about it blue dog
[notify]
Satori

Will Pose For- Food!!!!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 7:38am PST 
Here ya go Rufio!Long post....

Satori’s Stew

1/3 c x 24 = 8cups

Say 8 cups = 2 quarts = ½ gallon = 24 1/3 cups daily meals. He is about 6 pounds. This recipe is inexpensive tor the little guys....

2 cups rice/barley/oatmeal uncooked (30%)
3-4 cups protein (1-2 pounds would be enough) (40%)
2 cups veggies (30%)
4c water/turkey broth/veggie broth to cook it all in, at least

Veggies: apple/celery/ cabbage chopped fine
Pumpkin/potatoes/yams are great!/squash/asparagus/carrots/a little fruit like apple. Veggies essential for fiber/nutrients.

Protein: 1.5 to 2# lean hamburger, and/or ground turkey/chicken;chopped turkey /chicken, cooked in water for the broth. The water will make a good broth. Add veggies, add rice/barley all at the same time. Add more water if needed.

Carbs: Brown rice best, for rice. White rice acceptable. Avoid soy, corn, wheat. Barley is great and rolled oats from your breakfast oatmeal are excellent. Vary any way you like.

Add
1 oz beef liver (I buy and freeze in pieces)
1 canned oyster (for zinc)
2 TBL coconut oil or olive oil
1 tsp rosemary chopped fine
1 TBL turmeric
2 tsp powdered eggshell (calcium)*
*(save your eggshells, rinse out and dry. Place in 300 degree oven for ten minutes. Reduce to powder form in coffee grinder).
1/4c apple cider vinegar
1 TBL brewer’s yeast
1 TBL lecithin granules
1 tsp powdered kelp
A little black pepper, not more than ½ tsp I think
Up to a TBL parsley if you like
1 tsp ground or fresh ginger if you like
1 tsp dry mustard if you like
1 TBL cinnamon if you like
1 tsp alfalfa powder if you like
Cook for 30 minutes,. This should make a nice stew, fairly thick as the rice and barley absorb the water.
When grain is cooked, moderately puree with a stick blender. There will still be little chunks. Dogs’ digestive tracts are shorter than ours, so this is how they better get nutrients. Cool to room temperature.

Add 1200 IU Vitamin E.
Open capsules and squeeze on; mix well into food.
2 cloves raw garlic, chopped fine (apparently loses usefulness if cooked).
Add 5 capsules 1200 mg Omega 3/6 fish oil
Add 2 5000 iu Vitamin D capsules.

Spoon into 1/3 c muffin tins and freeze. Pop out and place in freezer bags. Freeze. One muffin per day, fed ½ twice a day every 12 hours at room temperature.

Satori also gets in each meal 1 TBL kefir OR cottage cheese OR yogurt.

Ultimately this is less expensive than commercial dog food, has natural nutrients, probiotics and is very yummy accoding to my little pomeranian.

I know it sounds like a lot and is very picky (sort of) but once figured out, cooking is really a breeze. The food has a space i the pantry
Any feedback?
[notify]
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 9:04am PST 
Wow I like it, but I never used nor seen some of the ingredients so I would have to search more thinking I think this would be great also just frozen into ice cubes as snacks during the hot months!
When you said dogs have shorter digestive tracks, did you mean they absorb nutrients better when their food is pureed?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2